11-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #126
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
In that video, he split the ground. However, it was pretty inelegant to remove the pin and drill the hole to insert the aftermarket spade connector. Why didn't he just crimp on another factory pin and insert it into the factory plug?
There are couple of ways to supplement the ground, he obviously went a unique route but I in the name of simplicity, I just spliced into the original ground wire and tapped unto the vehicles's chassis. Either method produces the same result.

In the last 2 years, I did not have one single issue with rapid flashing.

The reason for this issue is the mentioned lack of ground polarity and also because although the vehicle's REM (lights controller) was originally designed for incandescent bulbs, which has a "hot/cold" check for the bulbs polarity to determine a fault, BMW still left on the "hot" check for the new LED turns signals.

LEDs draws much less electric current than incandescent, so when there is a lack of ground, the vehicle assumes there is a defect, as it was design do for incandescent lights, since the draw is so much lower with LEDs, thus resulting in a telltale rapid flashing turn signal.

LEDs for the turn signals are not steady burning, it only draws a momentary spark of electricity (see below), so that quick flicker, with the lack of ground, causes a momentary short, which the system interprets as a fault, thus, rapid flashing to indicate such.

Adding ground polarity and possible removing the "warm" check VIA coding will guarantee resolve this issue.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
amancuso725.50