04-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #50
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Having to pull and test four different set of piping, before zero out the drone, sounds annoying and monotonous. I don't envy Dinan's engineered; they earn their keeps.

The Dinan example sounds beefy but the crux of the S55 is no matter how much tinkering and sound deadening you try to balance in any exhaust barrel; you'll never get any combination of piping to sound sonorous and monotone, instead BMW program that overrun "pack-pack-pack" in which the break up of a steady exhaust sound, shoots directly from the manifold of the turbos, manipulated by the ECU and is touted as a "feature."

All other manufactures found a way to make their bi-turbo exhaust to sound right. I don't know what exactly is BMWs game plan but it's hard to imagine then can't find a way to improve the way it sounds from the factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDFW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
...For context and a bit of backstory-- the development side can easily take 3 months between scanning, prototyping, sound testing, jigs, etc. On the M2C we designed 4 initial muffler designs...
Greatly appreciate the context and completely reasonable - thanks for this Dinan. I think the short story is that people are waiting to hand you their $$$, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Anything you can share on specifically what will be offered? Is it just an axle-back? Is there going to be an option for a full system or x / mid pipe? Estimate on street date and pricing? Taking pre-orders?

Thanks!
It's an axleback + xpipe. All one kit although it's not a full traditional catback. Kind of an oddball solution honestly with how BMW did the factory exhaust. The natural cut point for an axleback option has heat shields on the pipe so cutting there isn't convenient or easy. Cutting farther back is possible but not ideal for clamping so we went the other direction knowing we planned to do an x-pipe anyway. So instead of having a "stages" of the setup it's all one.

I have a guess on pricing but nothing official has been decided upon so I won't open that Pandora's box. Needless to say it will be competitive with the other popular options for the platform.

For release dates. Until finished goods are in the building I won't touch that question with a ten foot pole. Been burned way to many times to count. All I will say is we are in pace given a normal development cycle of a new product. You can extrapolate timing from the previous statement and the above if you like but just realize stuff can change in the blink of an eye.

No pre-orders. When it's released it will be released to all at the same time and we will have plenty of stock barring some ridiculous gold rush scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Having to pull and test four different set of piping, before zero out the drone, sounds annoying and monotonous. I don't envy Dinan's engineered; they earn their keeps.

The Dinan example sounds beefy but the crux of the S55 is no matter how much tinkering and sound deadening you try to balance in any exhaust barrel; you'll never get any combination of piping to sound sonorous and monotone, instead BMW program that overrun "pack-pack-pack" in which the break up of a steady exhaust sound, shoots directly from the manifold of the turbos, manipulated by the ECU and is touted as a "feature."

All other manufactures found a way to make their bi-turbo exhaust to sound right. I don't know what exactly is BMWs game plan but it's hard to imagine then can't find a way to improve the way it sounds from the factory.
The S55 leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think you will get an argument from anyone on that. Did fine on every other engine/exhaust sound other than the S55 although from the factory they are getting quieter in general. Still miss NA sounds over anything turbo but that ship has sailed. :/
Appreciate 4
Poochie9103.00
JeremyDFW458.00
Zel33582.00
qnet679.00