View Single Post
      05-21-2022, 08:45 PM   #44
ndyvidual
This hobby is expensive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981 S, BMW F87 M2C

And new street wheels...

The stars aligned shortly after buying this car because I wanted better street wheels. My needs were as follows:

-Strong
-Allows easy inspection of braking components
-Easy to clean
-Spacer-free fitment while allowing wide widths for a mature, well through out look.
-Attractive.

The new Apex Sprint VS's met all of my needs. I used them at the track with a staggered set of Michelin 4S's and they were a blast. 265 fronts, 295 rears and I have great clearance with the TC Kline's. Pressure wise, the sweet spot for me was 31psi hot. Anything more and they felt greasy and I had to be delicate with....well all inputs, haha.

At Palmer, one developed a slow leak though. After some laps, TPMS had temp/pressure rising on three, but one was rising in temp, but dropping pressure. So I switched to my Nankang 200TW on the SM-10 squares and also had to drive home on them.

Root cause: loose valve stem. Tightened it up (they are SAE sized unfortunately) and checked all of the others and pressure is now stable. I run TPMS on my track set also to allow detection of issues just like this. This and other tracks have long sweeping combination corners where you load one side up for a long time and I never want a sidewall to collaspe and allow the wheel to make ground contact due to lack of pressure. Especially since I'm running 30 series tires.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these wheels. They are LIGHT and I love their look over everything else I've considered for this body design. With Apex's pre and post sale support, they were my ideal choice for street use. Thanks Expert@ApexRaceParts for the Winter group buy for the community.

Lastly, the photo you see is the VS's on my new trailer (also on coilovers) and my track SM-10's on the car. Both sets are anthracite. I chose the stronger wheels for the street (both are strong though), because public streets are simply more abusive than a racetrack on wheels in my experience. So with the long road trips I do between US east coast and into Canada, I need this car and its aftermarket components to be up for the environment. My E46 M3 was sold with almost 1/4 million miles on it. I plan to repeat that with this car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
W///7513.00