09-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Seems like you and I think similarly. I haven't taken the plunge for largely the same reason. I'll say my bit about the categories/prioritization though and this could be visualized as a Venn diagram.

Performance
  • Maximum grip offered
  • Heat tolerance over a stint

Experience
  • Feedback
  • Peakiness
  • Handling simultaneous inputs

Value
  • Days before to cord (or get near cords)
  • Ability to handle variable conditions
  • Total cost

So with that, I'd put a tire like the SC3 R high in performance and experience but low in value—they didn't last for me, they don't handle variable conditions well (means a second set of wheels/tires for wet days) and their total cost is relatively high.

RE-71RS fulfills a lot more of the value category because they are cheaper, last longer, and at reasonable tread depth levels, work quite well in mixed conditions. They only give up a little bit in maximum grip and have worse heat tolerance (this improves as they wear). I'd give the Bridgestones a try—I don't think you'll be disappointed and it would be great to get your comparison to the NT01s.
Being able to hand wet weather is huge for me. A few posts on the forums about being caught in rain on NT01s is not fun. I bought a second set of wheels, but I'm not ready to haul them to the track yet. I mainly did it to keep the wear of my street tires as they get more dicey in wet as the tread drops. Plan is to move to a more cold/wet friendly street tire. Then have the second set of wheels with a more aggressive tire for to/on/from track days (re71rs).