09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #1145
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Can someone post what their pull-up routine is, # of sets and reps ? (grip style, and where it falls in that days workout)
I follow a different plan then most as I do a modified Westside Barbell workout. So my back days alternate. 1 workout for thickness and 1 workout for width.

But on Width day, I start with pull-ups. My programming might have me doing 8 sets of 3 reps with 50lbs hanging from me one time, and then 6 sets of 5 reps with 25lbs hanging......followed by doing them with just my bodyweight for as many reps as I can get with a 1 minute rest between sets. Those are called EMOM (Every Minute On the Minute) sets. Only when I fail to get 5 reps is that one giant set over and I move on to other exercises.

As far as grip style, I use an overhand grip. Also I put my arms out to the side, elbows at a 90° angle so my forearms are straight...and that is the grip width I use. Similar grip to a bench press but I'm pulling instead of pushing.

That's where I find I'm strongest at.

Also....it's an exercise you don't see a lot of people do, but if you have a pull-over machine..we have a Nautilus one....it's an awesome exercise for building width if you using your elbows to force the bar down and contract the lats...then get that extreme stretch back up at the top!