03-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #202
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I am wondering how you'll see if the clutch is fully disengaged when the transmission is off...
Excellent question, I have a few ideas how to tackle this but I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but it's worth a try when I have to swap the clutch anyways.

As you know the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate is bolted to the back of the engine and is still present when the transmission is pulled, what is removed however is the throw out bearing and transmission input shaft which is stuck to the transmission.

Methods:

1) clutch inspection window, I'm pretty sure BMWs don't have this but this would have been through easiest method.

2) What I wanted to do is measure the throw out bearing movement as a function of pedal travel to see how far the total range of travel of the throw out bearing is. Then measure the total range if motion the pressure plate tension spring bit (can't remember the proper name) has to move before the clutch can spin freely from the flywheel aka. fully disengaged. Then compare the two distances. If the tolerances are too close I'll try method 3.

3) pull the throw out bearing and clutch hydraulic assembly and try to attach it to the clutch and flywheel assembly without the transmission bell housing. This is probably going to be super difficult if it isn't removable or if the transmission input shaft doesn't pull out. Then I have to some how figure out how to secure it to the clutch and flywheel without play. From there it's just a matter of engaging the clutch and seeing how much dead space in the clutch throw.

Idk we will see what happens, but this summer I'm planning to put the car on jack stands and seeing how far the clutch needs to be engaged before the rear wheels stop spinning in first.