View Single Post
      05-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #21
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Nezil, you looked a little too nervous and obsessed with your recent posts, which I refrained from commenting on. I wanted to see what you find out yourself and who else would stand out to explain things for you.

To me, simply the gas you have does not perform to the claimed octane rating. And mixing different gas or adding additive are known to be inconsistent in many cases. My suggestions for you are:
1) Log stock map on 100% 91OCT and compare for yourself. See how good a job BMW is doing in your case.
2) Request a map update (to lower timing advance) thru BM3 APP if you don't have better gas to have consistent access to.

A little knowledge sharing:

Timing correction is the nature of DME (N54/N55/S55) timing control. DME works at edge of knock threshold for maximum efficiency out of each combustion stroke. You ever do, or see someone else do a dyno tuning of our car, you will know super clean timing curve don't make highest power, instead you're leaving a lot of reliable and consistent power on the table. You better either raise the boost or advance timing or both, so DME find knock threshold again to work at. A good tune is not to over/under-advance the ignition timing for a given octane at the given boost level and AFR. Pursuing zero timing corrections at all times is not possible, nor is it necessary, whatever octane/boost/timing/afr you run.

BTW, where I'm at with my custom map, I have just as many if not a little more timing correction than the 3 logs you posted above. I can trade a little boost or rail pressure for cleaner timing, but in my opinion it's not worth it.