View Single Post
      10-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Tinting recommendations

So whilst awaiting delivery, I've been checking some places for a potential window tint to deal with the upcoming Melbourne summer. After spending some time on the whirlpool forums, I narrowed it down to this particular company which was given rave reviews due to their professionalism, quality of work, and their allowing you to watch while they work on your car. I contacted this particular place with the following email:

Hi ***,

Just trying to do some research with regards to having my BMW M2 tinted. I'm looking for maximum heat rejection. What would you recommend, and approximately at what price? If you have something similar to say the Formula One Stratos tint, I'd be interested.

Thanks!

And this was the response I received:

Hi *****,
Thank you for your enquiry on the M2.

Let me tell you something about your car you won’t read anywhere else as you are obviously doing your research and shopping around.

I know a contract tinter who works at a BMW dealership and he has had a couple of major issues with this car. Why?

The film installation has to be applied wet and computers, amps etc. don’t go too well together as you could imagine.

He has fried two cars at a dealer cost of $1,500 each.

What now has to happen with BMW’s installation on the M2 is that their service department has to “gut” the rear of the car “to the body shell.”

Do you want that? I think not!

And as such I don’t have that facility to disassemble that either to factory standards and therefore I politely must refuse them.

I’m sure you’re are in agreeance with me on this and I’d never want to have a situation where my excellent reputation is compromised by a car that imho is not ideally suited to aftermarket tint.

Having said that I’ll do your Tesla which I did yesterday.
End of email.

BTW, I don't even have a Tesla, so, not sure where that was coming from. But.... I'm not sure how to react. I did send an email back asking how I would go about tinting my car, but received no response. I have never heard of a car not being able to be tinted due to electronics. Yet somehow, a Tesla can be done which is full of electronics. Unless I'm missing something?

TLDR - where is a good place I can get a tint done in Melbourne?
Appreciate 0