Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I think he ran too wide in the 1:12.2 lap and lost some time.

If he cleans up two of those areas the 1:12:5 he came up with would have been in the 1:11s I think, and I really think the driver would say a 1:11.5 was out there for him to get had he done a perfect lap.

I also think he would say that the M2 can be tricky at the limit like the 1M.
In the Supertest article he does not mention the M2 being "tricky at the limit like the 1M" (compares it to the M3/M4 and the E46 M3, but not the 1M). He do mention that on the Nurburgring it does not have the "calm" of the longer wheelbase M4.

Generally he praises the car as being very fun and rewarding to drive on the limit. He has asked the M engineers and they say that the M2 is set up more for short tracks like the Hockenheimring and not so much for the Nurburgring. M engineers advised to increase front tire pressures and decrease rear tire pressures for the Ring lap compared to the Hockenheim lap (2.2/2.2bar vs 2.5/2.0bar).

This is his comments on the Hockenheim lap:

Quote:
Seldom has there been a sports car that has provided so much fun to drive on the Hockenheim track as the M2. Contrary to on the Nurburgring, the cars light tendency to oversteer fits perfectly for this track layout. Also the M2 scores with it's sharp/precise turn in and direct setup of the front suspension. The M2 responds amiably to load changes. Under load the rear axle pushes with ease. The transition between grip and slip is smooth and not abrupt. To put down a quick lap you need to have a bit of self discipline with the gas foot. Even if the M2 doesn't have semi slicks, the grip level of the tires (Micheling Pilot Super Sport) is convincing. The big brakes is, even after multiple laps, able to brake the car without changes in pedal pressure or modulation. The ABS brakes are also working perfectly on the limit.
Don't forget that the 1:12.20 lap is quicker than even the E92 M3 GTS, which was on sticky street legal track tires.
I will have to get my conversion calculator out.

Glad to hear the engineers advice to put some more time pressure up front !

I try to run my 1M at 38psi front and 37 psi rear HOT when I am on track and for autocross ... Absolutely need more pressure up front than the rear.

Edit:

2.5 bar = 36 psi
2.2 bar = 32 psi
2.0 bar = 29 psi

7 psi higher in the front is ummm. A lot wow.i
Appreciate 0