View Single Post
      08-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #92
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
If Chevy can make the C8 Corvette numbers work (under $60k for a mid-engine all-new design sport car), so should Toyota! There is no excuse. Supra is a halo car. It meant to showcase what Toyota can do. Heck, for interior, if they really care about their halo car, they should learn from their own brand Lexus (i.e. LC500) for that top quality interior design.

I rather pay $100k for a real 2nd Supra than wasting my money on a half-ass supra. You don't have to agree with me, but Toyota's lack of courage is highly disappointed.
As i said Toyota has a different culture then GM. Toyota tries very hard not to lay off workers. Even in 2008...toyota didn't lay off their plant workers...they ate the losses and had excess workers go through more training instead of firing them. It builds worker loyalty and dedication. GM tends to hire and lay off workers as demand changes.

GM has been building corvettes every year since 1953 and has a over 70yrs worth of sales data to make relatively accurate sales projections and can amortize the cost.

The supra hasnt been built in over 20yrs and gt86 only sold 7000 units last yr and even at its peak it sold 20k units. Now your trying to sell a car thats double the price...no one with basic business sense will risk $3 billion on 20k units or less not even on $60k cars.

Why you think BMW makes one engine and puts it in like 20 different models?

Toyota already said they wanted the supra to be affordable to the majority of people, not the 10%. 50k is a lot but is relatively affordable to a majority of people.

Toyota will probably make money on the supra for the first 2 years and lose money on the last 3. If its not a suv/truck..it doesnt sell well. Given the current car market...we should appreciate their is a supra at all. More competition is already good.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Kankles1485.50