11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #181
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettDB View Post
No doubt by now you have a lot of interesting perspectives about BMW M car ownership. Rather than just repeat what others have said, I'll try to add some perspective that might further the discussion overall - but it would probably also be nice for everyone who has responded to know... How do all of these opinions compare with your own experience?

A few things - and note I ordered by M2c in FEB 21, received it in mid JULY 21, and as of today (NOV 26), it has 1,455 miles on it (MT, Msport parts, etc.). I've owned a LOT of M Cars, and debated between the M2cs and the M2c - the M2cs is the more "competitive" of the two, but the price gets it pretty close to Cayman GT4 and similar cars, so I choose the more "mundane" M2c.

The best thing about the car - and BMW M cars in general - is that you can massage them, perform surgery on them, or send them to the plastic surgeon, and no matter what - if properly done, the car remains happy + whatever you have decided to do to it. That factor alone is a huge benefit.

The next thing is that with the exception of some larger metro cities, M cars are typically purchased by people who love to drive - who don't care what others think beyond admiring something they themselves would like to drive. Sure, there are a lot of smashed up M3s out there in big cities (no offense!), but when you see another M2 (OG, c, or cs), the driver will typically flash their lights, wave, or otherwise acknowledge the "club" that you're a part of.

As for specifics...

SUSPENSION: It would really be terrific if from the factory there was a comfort and sport setting. As noted by many, you can upgrade this capability on your own - lots of options to choose from. It will be interesting to see what the G87 M2 includes...

WHEELS: I'm not a fan of the 788 wheels that came on my car (only choice at the time), but they ARE forged, which is important if you ever decide to take your car to a track. I've heard people say they have had good luck with semi-forged wheels, but that just sounds like a way to save a buck with unknown performance and reliability factors. For now, I'm keeping them, as they ARE forged, and that's a good thing. As for cleaning them, that's a bad thing. However, Ceramic coating and a high pressure water gun make things a bit easier.

FUEL: This has been the biggest surprise, and disappointment. Not only is the consumption significant - but the fuel tank is way too small. One of the measurements of fuel economy is the number of miles per tank. Even if the mileage was what it is - but it was possible to get 300 miles per tank, it would be more acceptable. This is particularly challenging as to remedy this requires more money than is reasonable - the M2cs Racing vehicle has an optional larger fuel tank, but it isn't realistic to try and fit it to the street M2c.

PERSONALIZATION: This is one of the most fun aspects of owning any BMW, but especially an M car. I've read about people ordering parts that significantly change the behavior of the car before they take delivery. For me, driving the car - experiencing the car - as it came from the factory and then making changes is a part of the fun.

I almost fell into the trap of "having to upgrade" the car before I took delivery. I almost ordered a coil over suspension, exhaust, competition steering wheel, wheels, tires, etc. Then, I thought back to some of the earlier M cars I've owned. As strange as it may seem, my favorite M3 was my 1990 E30 EVO. What an amazing car - but in many ways such a basic car to today's cars. I continue to mentally kick myself for selling that car. HUGE mistake. But the benefit from owning that car - and other M cars (in fact other cars) is that it/they reinforced the importance of knowing what you're changing before you actually make the change.

So, for me, the most important first modification was to sit in the car and evaluate all of the sounds, the pings, dings, audio experience, etc. And then to drive for a bit, again thinking about what happens when you stop, start, open the door with the audio system on, etc. That led to an important series of changes: Bimmercode. I shut off some of the pings, cut out the exhaust being pumped into the audio system, the auto-start function, and about 10 other things. Combined, those changes alone made a huge difference in my driving experience. Small annoyances are gone.

I may still change the suspension, but I'll wait until I have at least 3,000 miles on the car, so I can be certain about WHAT I want to improve - sometimes we're used to a specific "thing" and at the end of the day that "thing" may not actually merit a change.

I will certainly change the wheels at some point. And the tires, too - Must experience Cup 2s on this car at speed and on a long winding road. Must.

I will also upgrade the audio system. There are some "plug and play" options out there, and I believe making a change in how music fills the cabin while driving in the city or on the freeway will make those driving experiences more enjoyable. However, when shifting into 2nd gear at 6AM on a Sunday morning and heading into the canyons near where I live, the audio system will be OFF.

HOW TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE: I've read so many articles from so many people about improving performance of the M2c. But I've seen very little about the very best option for getting the maximum performance out of the car: Becoming a better driver.

I've spent many years as an amateur racer, and even at my advanced age of 157 (ahem), every time I drive on a track I learn something new. Too many inexperienced M drivers are too slow in the fast stuff, and too fast in the slow stuff. As you navigate this forum, you'll quickly recognize those who know how to drive, and/or who takes the driving experience seriously.

Going to a driving school is a very good investment. Sure, it's not cheap, but it could save your life, and the life of your M2. More to the point - it's f@#king fun. I'd suggest two school events if you haven't done such a thing yet - one from a third party racing school (Barber, etc.), and then an M school that is specific to BMW. If you pay close attention, take criticism well, your driving experience (even in city driving) will improve greatly.

Next, joining the BMW CCA (if you haven't already) is a terrific next step - and participating in their events, drives, etc. And you have to do it, too! I was a BMW CCA member for many years, then "got too busy with work." Big mistake on my part. I joined again at the beginning of the year, and I have started to fill my calendar with planned activities with the club. It really adds value to the ownership experience. I have two other BMWs in addition to my M2c (2002 S54 M-Roadster and a 2021 i3s REX), so there's no excuse for me to not be involved more. In fact, what better way to get first hand real world experiences from other M drivers?

One more thing... For me...

Shifting. One of the reasons I purchased this car is because I could order it with a manual transmission. It may well be the last new car I purchase with a manual - or even with a gasoline motor for that matter. But I expect to keep this car for quite awhile... So. Shift. Shift. Smile. Shift.

Thanks for reading...
DB
Great post, thanks for sharing! The gas mileage thing is still a BIG head scratcher for me. I have had two previous F8X cars and both of them had better MPG vs the M2C. I get that absolute miles will be lower due to the smaller gas tank, but how is the MPG worse? Same engine, transmission, etc...and a bit lighter.
Appreciate 0