ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle86 View Post
Thanks for the comments, I'm perfectly fine. Only injury is a small bruise from the lower dash airbag that I didn't even know existed! I must say, so many air bags went off, and me being 6'5" it was tough exiting the car, had to push and duck around them all the airbags. The side curtain bags don't deflate immediately like the steering wheel bag does.

She definitely saved me from serious injury, which is why the wife is letting me get another one. Yes, it will be BSM 6MT just like I had.

The raptor left a trail of parts 1000 feet long including his left front wheel. So this happened 2/5/2020 on Hwy 203 in Duvall, WA. It is a 2-lane hwy, 55 Mph limit. It had been raining for at least 72 hours straight and there was flooding everywhere in the region. I was driving north bound when I came to a state trooper on the right shoulder with his overhead lights on and flares burning. There was a DOT worker behind him putting up Water Over Road signs. I slowed down to maybe 5 mph to pass them as they were pretty much right on the fog line. As I passed them I could see a "river" flowing over the road. You can see how much water was on the highway from the picture of my rear tire. It was a good 2-3 inches flowing over the road, and that was at the crown. It was more than 5" deep on the shoulder.

I just passed the stater who was on the shoulder and started creeping through the water when the Raptor driving south bound hit the "river" at speed. He had to have been going at least 55-60 mph when he hit the water. He immediately hydroplaned over the centerline, right into my rear fender. He spun me 90 degrees, lost his front wheel, continued into the northbound lane where hit then hit the stater's SUV, hit the stater himself, and continued on three wheels another 1000+ feet. Miraculously the stater only had a bruised knee.

Of course since he hit a stater and kept going, the stater called it in as a hit and run. In a matter of minutes, a dozen troopers showed up thinking it was a crime scene. The hwy was shut down all night as they took measurements, statements, pictures, even brought a drone out to take aerial photos. Crazy night, but everyone walked away unhurt. Turns out it wasn't a hit and run, the dude was in shock or something and finally stopped around a corner in the highway where we couldn't see.

Of course insurance still hasn't determined fault yet...

Attached is a photo of the Raptor's wheel and axle in the road. You can see the flares that were aleady there before the crash, and the stater's SUV on the left that he also hit. Way down the road you can see more red & blues, that's where he ended up stopping. I'm just in front of the SUV, maybe 50 feet. The hwy was shut down at this point, felt bad for all the people stuck in the backup. Was there for almost 4 hours in the rain before I was able to leave the scene.
Glad you are safe!