Thread: DIY brake ducts
View Single Post
      05-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #147
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Let me share something I learnt which can be beneficial to this community.

The link below explains in details about brake cooling so can be very helpful before you decide to install them in your car.

https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...n-my-track-car

If you read the article most likely realized that a lot of brake cooling solutions we see around are not technical correct or dont provide the expected benefits. But even if your cooling is design correctly and air is channel to the eye of the disc there is still the change it wont generate the benefits you expect because there isnt much air flow and this is what I would like to share after very experiments I did.

Initially when I started to look into brake cooling could not find an affordable solution but fortunately some nice people on the forum start posting their solutions so I found one that made sense for me. I installed into my car and for a moment was happy that I had a brake cooling solution. After few track days I didnt notice any substantial difference in brake temperature (paint rotor / caliper temperature stickers) but decided to keep as have already spent the money.

[IMG][/IMG]

Later on I continued to be frustrated by the braking performance specially how fast the pads wear due high temperature so I decided to see how effective the ducts are so I found on Amazon an air flow meter. It measures speed and flow so I decided first to check its accuracy just by driving around and comparing speed on vehicle vs device. It is pretty close. Now for the flow you just add the area and it will show CFM.

I measured the flow in front of the duct (before it gets captured by it) and after it passes the duct just next the rotor. For my surprise the flow dropped by 67% yes this is correct only 1/3 of the flow gets into the rotors. It means a circuit which average speed is 80mph the air speed on the ducts at the rotor eye would be only 26 mph what isnt much air flow. I agree is something but it wont be noticeable most likely.

What is the solution? Increase air speed or area. To increase area and make some difference needs to go with 4" hose which is a challenge because packaging. To increase air speed need to eliminate any 90 degree bent. The only solution I see like that would be maybe the GT4 bumper inlet but I know its size it kind small based on pictures I have seem. Actually on GT4 they have 2 hoses. The second captures air underneath. Maybe that is the reason GT4 has 2 hoses instead of just one.

Other alternative which is actually free is to remove the dust shield which allows open space for the rotor to capture air as it eliminates the restriction. I would just suggest adding a shield for the rubber boot which is close to the rotor.

I am testing a fan solution next week for the rear which has the benefit of constant flow. You can find a nice one on Amazon for $60 which supply air at 50mph (double than the duct solution). Will let you know the results.
Appreciate 3
FaRKle!4016.00
DrKevM52273.50
ggggbmw432.50