View Single Post
      09-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #142
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
This is a no brainer. Make the chassis so it can also use RWD.

If these photos are of what would be badged as a 2 series gran coupe for North America ( which is my own personal opinion) then BMW will finally be addressing a segment of the market that they vacated ever since the E36 halted production. If it is flexible enough in design to still be used as a 1 series FWD chassis for other markets or for orther MINI vehicles then so be it.. there indeed will be a lot of economy of scale. Missing out on the opportunity to bring a 2 series gran coupe (AKA E36 sized 4 door sedan) to the north american market would be an error BMW will sorely regret in the future. More small cars are still needed here.... and with all the models movig up in size... every auto manufacturer except for BMW has figured out how to bring smaller vehicles in to the US market. The civic, corolla, altima, have moved up and smaller models came in below. Audi is bringing over A3.. Merc has CLA... etc etc...

From your comments, " This is the 1er Sedan but the strategy involves a 2er Gran Coupe. " and that there are plans for an X1 X-Sport (extended X1) indicate to me that this platform should be able support both of those models.
Well you have a 3er sedan and a 4er Gran Coupe , a 5er Sedan and a 6er Gran Coupe then you will have a 7er Sedan and then an 8er Gran Coupe so it makes perfect sense to have a 1er Sedan and 2er Gran Coupe because there is already continuity. The car in the scoop photographs is the 1er Sedan.
And by the looks , status and engines on offer . The car will be a success.