Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
OP - I'm right there with you, and close in age. I too thought about this very thing and thought maybe an M5 is more appropriate, or a 911. But I've always had an M itch, and the M2 to me was just a beautiful car that I needed to have. Everyone gushes over the M2 (trust me I've seen every youtube video), about how great it is. I also wanted a small car that I could enjoy, and so the M2 seems to check every box. The only other "small" car i was interested in wat the 718, but was not interested in a 4 banger which was available back then...maybe next time.

I'm not a showy person, so buying the biggest M out there was not a motivator for me, and I couldn't care what people think. I also have multiple cars at home so making a small coupe decision was easy. There are people on this board who will be surprised that 40, 50, 60 70 somethings will buy this car, but in my experience I've seen a dude in his 60s, a dude in his 70s driving this thing, so there really is no right age. Do what you want, and drive what you want. Having owned the M2 for 8 months now, I can only say I love this car and very glad I bought it.
Yeah, the M5 seems more "age appropriate" but even though it's way more expensive, I have no interest in it after having the Model S for a few years. Going really fast in a straight line while feeling nothing is not that satisfying for me.

I always wanted a BMW since I was a kid. An M car was unimaginable. I did get an E90 335 when I got older and drove that for 10 years. I still miss it. The M2C reminds me of the E90, only better.

Great to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I have yet to meet someone who got rid of their fancy Tesla to get into a smaller "ICE" car. I know people who own both a Tesla and a sports car, but with only one car I only hear of people going from BMW/Porsche to Tesla. Not the other way around.
The M5 may be more "age appropriate" but it has no soul! (Sorry M5 owners) Don't care about what others think, no one is gonna look at you and say "aren't you a bit too old to drive that?" They're just gonna look at you and assume you're just another a**hole BMW driver For the price of an M5 you could get a nice M2 and a nice daily 5-series (or other good dailies)... Just get a fun car, also I'd argue the majority of M owners are older clientele seeing that we can more than likely afford them over younger buyers.
BigKutta3903.50