Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Belgium View Post
In May I will attempt my first trackday in my M2
(second ever) at Zolder (Belgium). This will be a few hours with an instructor and a few 30min runs of free driving. I figure the stock brakes and pads will be fine here, since Zolder is not an high speed course and I'm a novice. I won't ruin my rotors, will I?

In summer, Spa francorchamps is on the planning. Maybe this will be the moment to upgrade the pads, maybe even the brake fluid.

Can you guys give me advice on what to do?

Change the pads to M performance pads, or go with pagid R19's or Ferodo's DS range (2500 or better)? Can the M performance pads or other racepads be used on the street or are they too noisy? I have no experience changing pads so it is quite scary to drive up with stock pads and change them at the track for track pads.

Will changing pads will be useless without changing brake fluid? And what brake fluid to go for? Will the stock calipers hold up?
Since I'm in the US I have no experience at that track. Do be aware that shorter tracks can in some cases be harder on the brakes than larger higher speed tracks. The speeds are lower at smaller tracks but this may make it harder for the brakes to cool down. Someone with experience at that track will have to chime in on whether that track is hard on brakes.

I have used DS2500s in my 1 but not my M2. These are fine on the street and better than factory pads and hold up well at the track. I'm confident they would be fine. I've also heard that the BMW perf pads are fine. This is what the factory drivers use at the driving schools. They aren't available though in the US so I have no first hand experience with these. More serious pads will likely be too noisy and may not perform well on the street. You could probably get away with them to and from the track but may be intolerable depending on the pad.
Appreciate 0