View Single Post
      04-20-2024, 08:19 PM   #84
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I've driven in Germany, and in most respects it's a different world. This Wikipedia entry detailing the requirements for German residents to receive a driver's license helps to explain why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drivin...nce_in_Germany

(further specifics here: https://handbookgermany.de/en/driving-licence)

"The German driving licence can be obtained after finishing driving school and passing both a theory and a practical examination. In order to apply for a driving licence, it is necessary to show proof of an eye exam as well as a first aid course consisting of 9 units of each 45 minutes."

"Both exams are held by an authorised inspector who visits the driving school for this purpose. Students must pass the theory test before sitting the road test, with no more than a twelve-month gap between the two. During the road test, the driving instructor is present in the car with the assisting features of the driving-school car deactivated or connected to audio signals and a warning light (if the instructor has to intervene, the test will result in failure)."

"The cost of obtaining a licence for driving a car is on average 3,000€ (US$3,300 in January 2024) but varies widely according to an individual's skill, city and region.[8] Individual driving schools set their own prices. The total includes fees for: authorities and exams, learning materials, driving lessons and tuition."

Obviously, no American in his or her right mind would think of sitting still for a regime as onerous as the German people are willing to accept.

Regarding the autobahn, here in America it is oversold as a wide-open driving experience. Most of it is two lanes with trucks restricted to the right-hand lane and to 50 mph (YES! ). In urban regions it is usually busy and speed-restricted. Nevertheless, where it's open to driving fast it is legal to do so and generally quite safe. Right-hand lane drivers pulling out to go around slow-moving trucks tend to be the principal obstacles on the autobahn's open stretches.
Appreciate 3
Llarry16616.50
vreihen1615508.00
jmg18867.50