04-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #90
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Lightbulb Bad bushings in Ohlins dampers

My knocking noise has finally been resolved!

I purchased and installed Ohlins R&T suspension in my 2017 M2 in April 2019. Immediately I noticed banging and knocking noises going over small bumps, when reversing, etc. and lived with the noises for 8 months since installation. I contacted Ohlins USA early this year and spoke with Brian Fowler and described the noises I was experiencing and even shared a link to this very thread! Brian advised he felt it might be the bushings within the front dampers and asked me to send them in.

After they were returned to me in March, I noticed the invoice had a comment that read, "Changed bushings. Checked internals and changed oil as part of a full inspection. Products amended as one-time customer goodwill." I called back to Ohlins and spoke to the service technician who had actually worked on my dampers, Carl Atkinson, and asked exactly what was done. He explained that Ohlins had put a new style bushing in their R&T dampers that was causing the knocks and bangs, and he simply replaced the bushings with the old style that were known to perform without issue.

The rebuilt front dampers have been reinstalled in my car for almost a month now and I haven't experienced any of the knocks or banging I was previously. I would say problem solved.

I'm still a bit pissed at Ohlins for having to pay my installer to remove and re-install my dampers and have another alignment done. I can't believe Ohlins had the balls to write, "one-time customer goodwill" on my invoice when it was clearly a warranty issue for a problem they were aware of and they should be reimbursing me (and everyone else) for labor charges!

Anyway, if you choose to go the same route you'll need to call and get a warranty form to complete to send yours in. Turnaround time from the time they received them to them shipping them back out was only a week. Timeframe of your purchase might be of importance if you are experiencing similar issues as I'm guessing there was a manufacturing period where they used the bad bushings before switching back to the old style.
Attached Images

Last edited by nothingman; 04-13-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 8
MR RIZK756.50
David.m432.50
gphung193.50
chris7197273.00
x233284.00
redgs4320.00
Fabb227.50