07-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
Craig8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C, RS3, R8 (gen 1)

Mega Audi RS3 / M2 Competition owner's comparison review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I’ve been running both cars as daily drivers so here are my head to head impressions (2 years in the RS3, 6 months in the M2C). I drive around 90% of the time on city streets vs highway so that is what my impressions are based on.

Name:  front side by side.jpg
Views: 23135
Size:  696.6 KB

Specs (Canadian market):

2018 Audi RS3
Black optics
Red brake calipers
Sports exhaust

Mods: 10mm spacers rear, 7mm spacers front

2019 BMW M2 competition
DCT
Orange stitching

Mods: Carbon fiber rear spoiler/front spoiler/side winglets, exhaust tips, reflectors

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 19803
Size:  188.2 KB

Engine

From a power standpoint, both are engines are more than enough for driving around on the street. That being said, once rolling the M2C’s torque advantage is noticeable over the RS3. It pushes you back in the seat under acceleration harder than the RS3 does. I’ve never used launch control so cannot comment on differences in standing start.

Transmission

Both dual clutch transmissions shift quickly. As a side note, if you are an Audi guy like me and coming from the dumbed down dual clutch transmissions in an S3 or S4, the RS3 is so much better than what’s in Audi’s S models its like it’s a different unit.

I always drive in manual mode so I could not comment on auto mode. Overall, I give the edge to the M2C because:

a) Its more refined than the RS3 (the 1st to 2nd shift in the RS3 is jarring, the 2nd to 1st shift when rolling up to a stop sign sometime gets delayed so jolts into 1st just as you are getting on the power to leave the stop sign).
b) The shift paddles are metal and the shift mechanism feels more solid. The RS3 has plastic paddles that feel like a video game when you press them – completely ruins the experience. If there was one thing I could have from the M2C in the RS3 it would be the transmission.

Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 20053
Size:  158.8 KB

Exhaust

I have coded out active sound on the M2C. As far as I am aware, there is no cabin sound in the RS3. In terms of the engineered sound (pops/crackles), apart from the start up in the RS3 (which sounds better than the M2C), there are no pops/crackles on throttle lift-off like there is in the M2C (sport+). Apparently the pre-facelift RS3’s had something like this but you need an aftermarket tune to get it back in the facelift models.

In terms of the natural sound of the engine, I prefer the RS3 sound from about 2k to 4k RPM – it has a nicer tone. However, at the top end of the rev range, the RS3 sounds like it is straining vs the M2C.

Name:  brake.jpg
Views: 19524
Size:  179.1 KB

Brakes

For driving around on the street, both brakes are similar. They both have a manageable amount of bite when initially pressing with a moderate amount of pedal which makes it easy to drive smoothly in traffic. They are both strong when you are fully on the pedal.

The RS3 has a known weakness with brake pad wear (not sure if they fixed this yet). I’m at 15,000 kms and I have 25% pad left – and that’s with just normal day-to-day city driving.

Suspension

The RS3 has adaptive suspension vs the fixed on the M2C so hard to directly compare. I usually drive in the soft setting in the RS3, but even comparing the hardest setting in the RS3 to the M2C, the M2C is a firmer ride. Although I like the fact the RS3 is more comfortable on downtown city streets in soft mode, I do feel the M2C has a better initial compliance to its suspension. When you first hit a bump in the RS3 it feels quite jarring vs the M2C which does a better job of absorbing the initial impact.

Name:  inside.jpg
Views: 19427
Size:  163.6 KB

Interior

Overall I like the interior of the RS3 better. I’m not a big fan of the M2C exposed carbon trim. I purchased my RS3 off the lot so I was stuck with the brushed aluminum trim which I also don’t really like, but at least you can get gloss carbon as an option from the factory.

I like the RS3 steering wheel better than the M2C. Its slightly thinner, smaller in diameter, has alcantara on the sides, and has a large flat bottom. Even the BMW performance steering wheel does not look as nice in my opinion as the bottom flat area is not as large as on the RS3.

I also prefer the Audi Napa leather over the BMW Dakota leather. Its smoother in texture and generally just looks better. The first time I sat in a BMW with Dakota leather, I asked the sales person if it was the synthetic leather – it felt that much inferior to the Audi Napa leather.

The M2C seats have adjustable side bolsters which hug you better. The RS3 sport seats are non-electric. Although they are not as snug as the M2C seats, they still hold you well and overall I feel they are more comfortable.

Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 19348
Size:  130.7 KB

Infotainment

In terms of the dash, the RS3 wins hands down with its full digital display. The central tach, shift lights, navigation map are everything you need and you can switch modes to show different information/full screen map. If there was one thing in the RS3 I could have in the M2C it would be the Audi virtual cockpit.

In terms of everything else, the M2C wins hands down. Connected, touch screen, larger/high res screen, better speech recognition, wireless Apple carplay make it a generation better than the RS3.

Miscellaneous

RS3 likes
-Seating for 5 people
-Has an electronic hand brake
-When you release the trunk it lifts up without having to lift it
-The transmission has automatic creep built in (I used to dislike this but its actually easier when driving in traffic with this)
-Comes standard with blind spot warning (but no lane keeping) vs the M2C which has lane keeping but no blind spot warning

M2C likes:
-Integrated homelink (this is not even an option on the RS3 – I guess Audi built the car for people in Europe that live in apartments and park on streets, total miss for the North American market in my opinion)
-Heated steering wheel

Name:  back side by side.jpg
Views: 20155
Size:  649.9 KB

Overall

Overall the M2C is the car that is more fun to drive. If I lived in a region that did not have snow, I would probably just own the M2C. As a year round daily driver, in terms of practicality (4 doors, seats 5, all wheel drive) the RS3 is the car to have.

Last edited by Craig8; 07-25-2019 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 50
HFW0035683.50
KevinM2935.50
natmad667.00
cptobvious2531.50
M-Pilot4859.00
nomoracin758.00
brocurls263.00
VIERsr2621.50
akkando5863.00
Altra265.50
Dav3948.50