06-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #232
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
The 944 was actively trying to "race" and block me. Look at how I switch up directions and he follows me. He gave me a thumbs up when I passed so he knows he was playing.

The other guy I agree, except he took a wide line into the corner and I thought he would give me a car width+ at the apex. I had handily overtaken them earlier in the day so I thought he was letting me by. That is the line I always take and at no more speed than I usually do so not sure if calling it a dive bomb is fair.

I am not angry at him or think he was in the wrong. It was just a close call and I displayed some human emotion

Trackdays here are weird with overtaking. Very few org. group people by skill/level/car speed. The only one I know that does, only does so for people that can prove they are "fast enough", but their threshold is pretty low. This also does not sort out Aholes that think their E30 325i on coilovers should be faster than an M2.

In general the rule is make sure your overtake will be succesful and the slower car should keep their line.

In my opinion this is not a good system. Personally I know what should be faster than me. If a real race car or 911 GT3 (or equivalent) is behind me and catching up I will let off the throttle and move over (while indicating) to let them by. OFC always with safety in mind.

Overtaking on the straights is fine but its lame to be stuck behind someone for half a lap + because they are too selfish to look in the mirror and move over. Also sometimes you are stuck with a guy who is slower in the corners but has the same acceleration potential. Then you are at their mercy until they fuck up, move over, or you do an agressive overtake.

Pointbys seem lame for the same reason (plus here you need to have your windows rolled up). Only overtaking on straight is the same (also some guys hang out in the middle of a straight barely giving you space to overtake on either side).

I dont think there is an easy solution other than run groups and spacing out how people enter the track (kinda like they do with rally stages). However when the track is at capacity overtaking will become inevitable.

The other solution is people check their mirrors haha. I know being able to do this takes some time and experience. First couple times on track I had a budy checking my mirrors for me, this worked quite well and let me concentrate on the track and my driving.
In the US its mandatory to have your windows rolled down, so its easier for them to pull you out in case of a rollover. If they are having to smash a window then navigate broken glass to pull you of of a harness it could get messy for example.

I hear you on people not checking their mirrors, drives me nuts as well particularly as people in more advanced groups should know better. There are cars at DE events I know as being notorious for slow point bys so I try to avoid lining up near them.

That overtaking system (or lack therof) seems like a recipe for disaster. My main rule driving street or track, is try never to position my car where I'm at the mercy of another driver making the 'right' decision as invariably they don't.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Megator517.50