View Single Post
      08-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #146
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
It's time BMW spin off ///M as its own brand, and concentrate on making cars in that specific brand to appeal to enthusiasts, and leave the BMW brand to be the German "Toyota."

This way, we can continue to enjoy ///M cars that are not diluted by the plethora of compromises BMW had to make to make cars that appeal to the masses, and BMW don't have to listen to the "purists" old school whiners about how they've lost their way.

This way they can continue to charge a premium for the ///M cars, but keep cost low because sharing of platforms (and parts), but build out ///M cars for every niche and keep their enthusiast focus. Make cars like the M340i the base M, then an M3 would be like Porsche's upper trim S level 911s, and Competition and CS package to round out the top end to go up agains the GTxes.

And you can dumb down the run of the mill 3 series as much as you want to keep it cheap and competitive against the likes of Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics, but still keep the brand competitive advantage.
Why? When it works fine as it is.

I don't think a basic 518 is anything like an M535i, or an M5.... sorry I'm back in 1985.

It worked almost 30 years ago, works today, so where is the problem?
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1707.50
clee1982797.50