Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
MY2020 M4 Comp Pack pricing starts at $74K. If this car starts in the $70s, it'll absolutely kill the M4 sales. M2 CS will be lighter, have more power, and be more capable on the track. Honestly, even if the pricing starts in the $80s I would still choose this over an M4 any day. Really curious how BMW is gonna price it.
I don't know, I actually don't think there's a ton of cross shopping from M4 buyers. From my time at the other forum, there seems to be a huge portion of M4 buyers that are really image conscious and wouldn't be seen dead in a "2 series" even if it was faster and cheaper. The interior is a pretty big difference as well. Plus, the M4 is getting a little old and they were being discounted last I checked.

On the flip side, there are a number of people on the M2 forums here that wouldn't consider an M4 because of size alone.

You still might be right, though.
Coming from an M4 owner, they're very different cars. Also, I spend way more time in the M2/M2C forums than the M3/4 forums.

I don't think of my M4 as a hard core sports car. I think of it as a sporty GT car. It's fast, comfortable, and quite luxurious. I've tracked it a handful of times, but it's just too big to really enjoy on my local track.

I was offered the first OG M2 back in December 2015 (before they hit dealers), but ultimately got my M4 due to the luxury features, all of the leather, heads up display, nicer seats, etc. Now that the M2C has caught up with everything except HUD, it's an interesting comparison. Who knows if we'll ever have another M2 after the F87?

Last summer I had the opportunity to drive an OG M2 M-Performance edition at that same track (full works from Cup 2s, 763M wheels, coil-overs). It was hands down the best car I've ever driven on track. I've had minimal seat time in the M2C, but from my initial impressions, it is a better driver's car than the OG M2 and the M4. Its just tighter, better steering, better chassis, etc. That's why I'm so interested in adding the CS.
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8717.00
dmboone254972.00