07-20-2018, 05:16 AM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It is a lower cost solution that is nevertheless functional and perfectly adequate for the consumer of the product.

Every manufacturer controls costs by making compromises with the vehicle's design when compared to what could be if managing expenses were not made as high a priority. For example, Audi's FWD-first MLB matrix is not as advanced as their RWD-first MSB matrix. Would an A6 be a better dynamic vehicle if it were built on MSB like the Panamera and Continental? Surely, yes. In that event, the criticism often leveled at Audi for the understeer their vehicles tend to exhibit would no doubt be less common. But the intended customers do not demand any different, so Audi is able to continue to use the lower cost solution.

The reason that the Model 3 interior is such a non-starter for you is that you are not the target customer for the car. You no doubt had reasons for choosing the BMW you drive over an Audi as well. It may be impossible for you to ever accept a minimalist interior as see in the Model 3. For some folks, being able to acquire an electric car at a price is worth that compromise. Similarly, there are those who cannot understand why anyone would tolerate Audi's chassis compromise rather than buying a BMW or other luxury vehicle. Others - perhaps those who care more about the perceived beauty and elegance of the Audi interior, for example - would never think of buying the BMW.
Nah, cost cutting plain and simple. Like I said the Model S could have been designed the exact same way, but wasn't. Had GM come out with the Bolt in the exact same "total-tablet" dash configuration, you and every other BMW fanboy would be espousing my exact sentiment. For some reason people think Tesla is a luxury car maker. The Model S stands nowhere near its (S) class rivals in luxury. I chose BMWs long ago based on the rear-drive driving dynamics. Once the E30 came out with the 2.5L M20 (not the POS 2.7 eta) they finally offered a decent 3-series in the US. There's a magical quotient to the BMW I6 (naturally aspirated), rear-drive, manual transmission drivetrain. Audis in the 1970s and 1980's were serious pieces of crap.

And yup, I am actually am a Tesla target customer. I drive 35,000 miles a year and would love to have an EV sports sedan (been driving a 3-series for just about 30 years now). Lower fuel cost, lower maintenance (theoretically) and good performance. I looked extensively at the Model S as a replacement. The lowest-priced S at the time in 2012, which if memory serves was the 60KW, was still about $70K after rebates. At that price, the fuel and and maintenance savings was still $20K above what my 3-series cost me to get to 200,000 miles. You can review earlier posts of mine from 5 years ago where I was waiting to replace my E90 with a Bolt. I passed on the Bolt because a) it has insufficient range in the winter for my 175-mile commute, b) I do not like the interior design. If GM has in its next two EVs coming out in 10 months or so, an EV sedan with an interior design on the level of the current Buicks and 300-mile range, then I'm in. GM has the handling dynamics locked down now. I hope they see a there is a market for an EV sports sedan that's not techno-geek oriented.

I didn't jump in on the Model 3 reservation list because I tend not to buy cars sight unseen (let alone not even fully designed and manufactured), and especially after the total-tablet design surfaced.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-20-2018 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00