View Single Post
      11-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #53
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
TL;DR Power stutter combined with fuel and ignition issues has led to the decision to scrap the project based upon reliability concerns.

This is not the update I had planned to make, but it is with very mixed emotions I am letting the community know I am pulling the plug and abandoning this project. To understand why, you need to understand how I got to this point in the first place.

Since the installation of the Pure Stage 2 turbo and XDi-35 HPFP, I have experienced a random power stutter which seems to be a very widespread problem across similar configurations. Seeking a solution, I have replaced the spark plugs 3x with both OEM Bosch and NGK95706 and tried a range of different gaps. I replaced the O2 sensor. I tried two different tuning platforms, MHD and BM3, as well as tunes from different well known tuners and different OTS maps. I finally figured replacing the turbo, HPFP and all of the associated parts would be the likely solution - which is how this big turbo project was born.

Recent discussions with another forum member experiencing the same power stutter revealed that none of my new parts would likely solve the problem. I briefly figured it might be the ignition system and almost purchased the PR ignition kit, until I read another person with the same issue already tried that and still has the stutter. The other forum member also replaced their coils with OEM BMW units and still has the problem.

At this point, I have a theory the stutter is related to either the fuel injectors or the design of the HPFP. Regardless, the solution would mean adding port injection with secondary fuel injectors and either JB4 or a Split Second controller which adds another level of complexity to the project I was hoping to avoid.

I realized the project is reaching a level of customization and complexity where reliability will be questionable, and I do not endeavor to have a project car consuming all of my income. Reaching this decision wasn't easy; and although it has cost me several sleepless nights, I believe it is best in the long run to move to a different platform that will provide the power and handling I am looking for with a factory warranty.

My nest step is to return the car to stock and sell it. I will be making a post in the member classifieds section tomorrow listing everything for sale off of the car. Be on the lookout if you are interested in anything off of the car listed on the first page.
Damn, sorry to hear about this turn of events. What platform are you going to be moving to next?
Appreciate 0