View Single Post
      11-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #109
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Just had my first track weekend (Inde Motorsports Park in Wilcox, AZ with Porsche Club AZ - what a FUN track - new pavement too) since getting everything (except a seat - that's next) fitted and a base line for tuning is now stored away in my butt dyno.

btw - Got the M-Laptimer app working. I LIKE THIS!!!

I keep having to go back and forth through this thread for my settings (because I'm stupid and haven't written them down until now) so I'm going to put everything in this post (kinda a new reset to this thread, if you will) so I can find it.

2020 M2 Competition
9.5 & 10.5 x 19 Apex EC-7 wheels
Toyo R888R sneakers - 265 & 295 running 36-37 hot
RSR cage
Pagid Yellows (this is changing next round)
Ground Control camber plates and Turner adjustable rear toe arms
Ölins R&T suspension both front and rear are 10 clicks out (will play with these next round)
Ride height is 8 mm lower than stock (supposed to be 10mm lower)
Car is set at 3 degrees camber, zero toe front
1.9 camber, presently mentally blank on toe in - 1 degree, I believe.

---------------------------
First off, every time I get on the track with this car I'm impressed with just what a hoot it is. Man it's fun. I'm really impressed with just how hard and long it accelerates. At Inde I only used 3rd & 4th (just touches rev limiter at 128 mph before braking for turn three). Third gear is a tractor. It just makes the back end squat and pushes you forward nicely. Very controlled on throttle setting #2. #3 is a joke - I like having a potentiometer instead of a binary input.

Braking was excellent (low brake abuse track) and I was much happier with the modulation and feel at Inde than at Arizona Motorsports Park (has two major brake zones back to back and I get a softish pedal). I still plan on trying a different pad - been watching a few threads and may look at Ferodo or ... I'll have to go look again.

I still want braided brake lines to get rid of that little squishy feeling at the end of the pedal.

There's another thread going that describes quite well what I'm experiencing - and his car is similarly set up (I'll be copy/pasting part of this post into his in a minute).

The front end goes exactly where I want it to - and I can make it understeer if wanted (generally not...). I'm pleased with it. There's probably some more bite in it with a few clicks of shock tuning.

Rear end is tail happy. If you don't get things all gathered up just right at the apex and start getting on it, the rear has a tendency to step out. It's not scary and it's pretty predictable (after getting laps in, my right foot was MUCH better at controlling it) but it's still more than I'd like. From what I'm reading in the other thread, it very well may be my ride height and spring preloads also. I already need to drop the whole car to the recommended 10 mm below stock (I'm at 8).

Man this thing is fun and dynamic.

Four wheel drifts are precise, confident and don't spook me (except for one unexpected one - my fault... way too quick on the turn in at the fastest corner on the track. WHEEE!)

The rear end being happy isn't an issue - never ever felt like it gets too far out and is complete controllable but I'd like it not to be quite as aggressive about doing it (come on right foot...).

More tuning to come.

That's it for now... Fresh from the track, trying to get thoughts down while they're still present.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 2
Fabb227.50