View Single Post
      12-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #47
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I am going to be relocating from a southern climate back to the north. My current daily drive (only) vehicle is a 718 CGTS (PS4S tires). In Michigan, roads are cleared pretty quickly, so clearance (3.9” versus 4.6” with M2c) is one issue that would keep me off the roads only few times per winter when accumulation is heavy.

Clearance aside, the bigger issue is the fact that the PS4S simply is not safe for winter driving in the northern climate, with even light snow accumulation and the somewhat frequent occasion of cold wet/icy roads.

I am one impulse away from adding an M2C to my garage and plan to use it when conditions do not allow for safe driving of my CGTS. This means I will need to get some tires on the M2C that suit the winter climate. . . and, yes, I will throw the M2C into the daily drive mix year around.

After reading through this thread it seems the PA4 is a popular and effective ‘winter’ tire option. Couple further questions for those whom might have experience.

(1) I would ideally like to avoid changing out the PSS / winter tires over the stock M2C wheels twice a year. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has any northern winter experience on an all-season tire like the PS A/S 3+? If reasonably safe and effective, this would be ideal, as I would just use them year around on the M2C.

(2) The other option is less desirable, but something I am willing to consider if the prevailing view is that PS A/S 3+ (or similar all-season tire) simply will not be safe in a northern winter climate.

Namely, buying a second set of wheels with dedicated winter tires (PA4 or other). This will eliminate need for changing over the stock wheels twice a year. I would want 19” wheels and tires that retain the aesthetic of sport tires to the extent possible. Is there a recommendation(s) for a cost effective and reasonably aesthetically pleasing wheel/winter tire combination?

I imagine the wheel options are pretty unlimited, but I would want something that is ‘cheap’ and, if at all possible, not a complete eye sore. I do not need the ‘best’ winter tires either. Again, I would like something that comes as close to the PSS/PS4S aesthetic as possible. I honestly doubt I would ever notice the difference between the best and worst winter tires available – I would just need a dedicated winter tire.

Thank you

///AVM
Appreciate 0