View Single Post
      10-03-2019, 04:46 AM   #291
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I owned a 135i and have done an M track day in an M2... my 135i was an FBO N54 on coils w toe arms, much wider pss tires... my honest verdict... the car had an incredible engine... outside of that it is the worst car that I've ever owned...

1) incredibly unreliable
2) general goofy looks
3) very unbalanced short chassis
4) you mention steering feel, i think of it as an unecessarily tight and forced heavy steering
5) yes the OG m2 was not a massive performance upgrade but it was a massively better car overall
6) the 135i had the worst rear end sway / play ive ever seen in a car... it was obvious that car was designed around terrible runflats
7) last not but least it is quite telling that a base m235i beat a 1M around Laguna Seca... the 1 series platform was that shitty

FWIW i am in the market for an M2 comp so I get it but my honest opinion is that if you take the N54 out of the 135i, that car is straight ass.
You're definitely right that that 135i and non-M E9x in general had artificially heavy steering. Some people seem to confuse heavy steering for steering with feel and honest feedback. You are pretty much right on these points. The E82 was not the best chassis BMW ever designed. I think it might be more fun on the street than the F22, but it is snappy and not as stiff. It might even be worse than E85/E86 (Z4M) in terms of snap oversteer.
Appreciate 0