Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I find it very confusing as to why this is a problem on M cars. Everytime there's a prototype drive of any BMW, there's usually a portion in the article in which they talk about discussing steering with a programmer and the programmer mentions that he can tune it to have feel, but that the GP doesn't want it. Ok, I guess that makes sense on your bread and butter 330i and X3, where you have to cater to the general public, but on an M car, why do they isolate the car from the road in regards to steering? I doubt many M-owners are writing in their surveys "we want less steering feel!"

We know BMW has the technology and fine-tuning to fix their steering, and even they get upset with the constant criticism of their steering (when the G20 was launched, one of the BMW higher up's complained about consumers complaining about modern BMWs). Its getting really embarrassing to see that even almost a decade later, BMW is still failing in the steering department. Even cars like the Mazda 3 have more feedback and have tuned their EPS fairly well. Granted they aren't E46 levels of feel, but they aren't completely devoid of feel, and this is on a ~$20k compact car!

Luckily cars like the M2 impress in many other areas, making the steering more "forgivable," but its really sad seeing the stark contrast of BMW having great steering feel to now having some of the worst.
I've only owned my M2 comp for a month, but I can say that the ONLY time i'm actually annoyed by the lack of steering feel is when I drive it back to back with my 350Z (which for all its faults has a very nice hydraulic steering setup.)

If i'm just jumping in the M2c the steering feels fine, sharp accurate and with a fair amount of feel. If I then jump in the Z, i'll notice that it has way more fidelity and a bit more natural weighting. But I only notice if it's an immediate comparison, if i drive the two cars on different days the M2 steering feels great.

I kind of wonder if that's why Car and Driver heaps praise on the M2c when its on its own, but then pans the car when they're comparing it directly to others.

Also interesting that they have the weight listed as under 3600lbs. I'd figured that 3600lb figure was an estimate, wheras i'm pretty sure car and driver actually weighs their vehicles on a scale.
The steering complaints are still present even in normal instrument tests and reviews, but in the presence of the GT350, Cayman, and Supra in the latest C/D comparo, all of which have more steering feel, it makes the steering even more obvious in what its lacking on the M2. Like you said, turn in is good, the steering is direct and sharp, it just lacks that great sense of tactile feedback that BMWs use to be known for.

Also like you, I can live with it, it isn't a deal breaker, as the M2 succeeds in so many other areas, but it just makes me sad to see as a long time BMW owner for BMW to be this oblivious to their M market and the constant criticism that has persisted of BMW's steering over the last decade and even have numerous other brands surpass them and figure how to tune EPS properly.
Moflow2484.50