ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic837 View Post
Just my two cents to a beaten down topic. I owned an OG 2017 M2 which was intended to be the replacement to my 09 135i. I certainly enjoyed many aspects of the car, but for what it's worth, for every improvement over my "antique" 1-series, there seemed to be something else that felt like a step-back. My 135i seemed like it a had reasonable balance between the mechanical and the electronic... the M2 experience felt somewhat disconnected.

For what it's worth, I also found the power output to be significantly disappointing.... there was just something that felt "lazy" about the throttle and turbos in that car. Slamming the gas pedal felt like the car needed a second to wake-up before it engaged properly. My 135i does not have that feeling. There's tubo lag, yes, but it still feels as if pushing the gas has an immediate reaction, which only pulls stronger once the turbos fully engage. And to dispel any rumors - it was a stick shift and I played with all of the Sport+ settings.... those settings certainly made the throttle touchy, but they didn't change the laziness of output to any significant degree. I would assume (hope) that the S55 engine fixes this problem on the M2C. The N55 was, to me, a letdown of an engine - especially compared to the N54.

Suffice it to say, I sold the M2 about a year after I bought it. I'm still driving the 135i as my daily, and even though she's getting a bit old and tired, she can still put a smile on my face. If the M2C is truly the improvement that some are saying (and the least of my worries is that it sounds a bit worse), then I might consider it after my 135i takes its final bow.
I miss my 2010 135i bad. It was a freakin mechanical beast modded. Everything was instant. Throttle, torque, steering. You thought about it? It already did it.
I have not gotten quite those same feelings while test driving the M2Cs.
Need more seat time, and really, just need to freakin buy one.

Is the consensus that Sport is the best steering mode, not Sport+?
I keep reading here Sport has a tighter feel with less center play?
I owned a 135i and have done an M track day in an M2... my 135i was an FBO N54 on coils w toe arms, much wider pss tires... my honest verdict... the car had an incredible engine... outside of that it is the worst car that I've ever owned...

1) incredibly unreliable
2) general goofy looks
3) very unbalanced short chassis
4) you mention steering feel, i think of it as an unecessarily tight and forced heavy steering
5) yes the OG m2 was not a massive performance upgrade but it was a massively better car overall
6) the 135i had the worst rear end sway / play ive ever seen in a car... it was obvious that car was designed around terrible runflats
7) last not but least it is quite telling that a base m235i beat a 1M around Laguna Seca... the 1 series platform was that shitty

FWIW i am in the market for an M2 comp so I get it but my honest opinion is that if you take the N54 out of the 135i, that car is straight ass.