View Single Post
      08-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #32
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Yes,

We're happy that BMW approved the repair. I'm also happy my husband is out of town as it will allow me to take the burden off him in dealing with scheduling, phone calls etc. to schedule the repair. It's time he start enjoying this car (birthday coming up soon - new parts coming).

Here is the last email sent to me earlier this week:
"The body shop will need the clear bra off that quarter panel and adjacent rear door. Once that is done we can schedule your vehicle in for the paint work ."

As for DV, it's too soon to tell regarding our position. Allow me to explain. Once the vehicle is repaired, they accept full responsibility in an attempt to make a correction (which is great) to a factory paint job. However, if the work is less than a factory finish, no further repairs will be performed (pause) and I'll address this with BMW/NA directly. I'm not looking for acts of kindness from this company and there should never be a perception that they do anything that doesn't benefit themselves. This is business and we have a factory warranty which they're required to honor regardless of me holding them accountable.

If the paint work is exceptional (and the reviews indicate it will be) then I believe we're good and we can move forward. Nothing else will be pursued and I'll have the film re-installed and consider this a lesson learned.

Here's a response from the dealer after I got the OK from the PPF installer to allow the body shop to remove the film:
"Our body shop is very capable of removing the clear. I just thought you preferred your guy do it. It is possible they might blend the door, not sure. The body shop is going to reach out to you for scheduling."

As you can see, this might be more than just a small area of repair. If we ever sell the car, regardless of Carfax being apprised or not, we/I'd feel it's our responsibility to disclose this to whomever we sell it to. I know it would effect resale value but it's the right thing to do. I believe my husband will keep the car for a good while, he loves this thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
So, Monica, it sounds like you are getting the car repaired at no cost to you, so that's good. Sure, you may have to pay a few hundred for the PPF, but that's peanuts compared to what could have been, so I wouldn't sweat it.

As for diminished value, that's usually after a car has been in an accident and body panels have been repaired or replaced and maybe a bit of frame straightening, and of course paint work. All of that diminishes the value of the car.

A small spot repaint (which we all know is often done without our knowledge and when done right - like at the VPC - is usually done without future detection) is no big deal and really won't affect the future value of the car. It may not even show up in the Carfax.

I suggest that you do not pursue a DV claim, because a) you won't win and b) you'll just annoy BMW, and they'll be less likely to help you out if something else comes up.

What I do suggest is that you keep all the paperwork, pictures, etc. documenting that it was a very minor paint defect that was repaired. This way you can show any future prospective buyer that it was not caused by an accident and should therefore not diminish the value of the car in any way.

If the shop does remove some of the PPF and doesn't replace it, then it would be reasonable to nicely ask BMW to cover the cost, but I wouldn't have high hopes.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0