02-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #332
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
MMMBRAP, you are 100% right, man! This is like Groundhog Day!

1. See attached pic
2. Literally, took 10 minutes. Lie down on the ground. Spray upward at the muffler
3. No prep, no nothing. Can of VHT costs less than $10. Either tape off exhaust tips, or another member was even smarter and just put disposable rubber gloves over the tips! Genius!
4. The muffler is so far down, away from anything with paint, that there is infinitesimal risk of overspray, unless you have epilepsy, or Parkinson's

In the end, complaining is human nature. I am as guilty of this as anyone. For example, I have this job where I'm in the 1%, I have a super cushy schedule, everyone treats me nicely and with respect... and all I do is complain about how I should be the CEO! "How do those idiots not realize that I should be in charge???"

Forum members complaining about the M2C muffler = me complaining about my job.

As so many photos have amply shown, you spray it, visually it disappears. And it only takes 10 minutes!!!

Now, here's something fascinating that has to do with the human propensity to complain. Guess what is the #1 predictor as to whether someone with clinical depression will commit suicide?

If that person knows he/she has no reason to be unhappy, THAT is what predicts his/her propensity to commit suicide!!! Isn't that crazy? If you THINK you have a reason for being unhappy, you at least have something to strive for, something that you think you can fix, so you don't commit suicide. If you know that there's no reason whatsoever for you to be unhappy, but you're unhappy nonetheless, obviously there's no cure via your own agency, therefore, suicide is your best option!

If we forum members didn't have the muffler to complain about, well, we'd have to come up with something else to blame our unhappiness on!

In my own case, I was telling my wife: "Well, it's a good thing that my unhappiness always has to do with my job. That way, I can blame my professional life, and not my personal life, anytime my limbic system makes me unhappy." I'm very happy with my home life. I suspect if I didn't have work to blame any time I felt bad about stuff, somehow that unhappiness would get redirected by my limbic system toward my home life.

So... maybe we should be thankful that BMW gave us this giant, saggy nut sack muffler to get upset with!

lol thanks for chiming in about this cptobvious.

For me there's really only 2 ways to go about this muffler issue:

1.) Paint the damn thing and be done with it.
2.) Get an entirely new (albeit expensive solution) exhaust setup.

But I totally get it about the complaints from both sides. It's unproductive to complain about an issue that you have 2 solutions for, but it's also a sign of the times (imo) where M won't go the extra mile to go with a factory exhaust system that doesn't look hideous and requires customer modding to be acceptable, lol.

One would say "Oh but Porsche doesn't have this issue!" - and yeah they don't, because you're paying 6 figs for it and they better damn don't have an udder problem at that price point.

At the end of the day I think M2C is great value for money, and unfortunately at this price point, you're not going to really get something "perfect". Which is fine.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50