View Single Post
      01-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #22
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Please keep in mind that the OP (MerlinPurple) is based in the UK, and therefore his calculations are based on UK Gallons rather than US Gallons. He's also using V-Power Fuel, which has a RON rating of 99 if I remember correctly, with no added Ethanol, which would be somewhat equivalent to Ethanol free 94 AKI / (RON+MON)/2 US Fuel.

I find it funny that Brits often think that US drivers have it so good with cheap fuel, but the reality is that the cost is skewed because the gallon is smaller in the US, and the fuel is shit so the same cars are far less efficient. Yes, it is still cheaper to run a car in the US, but far less than it first appears.

For reference, a UK Gallon is 4.54 litres, and a US Gallon is 3.78. That's a difference of 20.1%.

MerlinPurple was getting 28.7 / 28.3 MPG in the UK, which given the calculation above, would be equal to 23.9 / 23.6 MPG in the US. That's still some pretty great numbers, and I'd have thought most of that would be down to the better fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Daily driving I get 24 MPH and on Long highway slogs I get 29 MPG.
Your 24 MPG figure ties in perfectly with what MerlinPurple found, but your 29 MPG is truly impressive!

I am lucky to get 19 MPG daily driving, and maybe 24 MPG on a long highway run. The only thing I can think of is this being the result of the crappy CA 10% Ethanol 91 AKI fuel that we have here!

I can get 100 AKI fuel about 45 minutes drive from here, but I'm not sure of the Ethanol content. My plan was to mix some 100 AKI with 91 AKI to get a 93 or 94 blend, but it's a lot of effort to fill up like that, and I'm not sure if I'd see any benefits in MPG.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
rich8566608.50