View Single Post
      04-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Lightbulb Is SPORT mode more efficient than COMFORT? (results)

I know what you're thinking, another MPG thread... but those of us who daily our M2's will find this handy!

Is SPORT mode more efficient than COMFORT?

I've always felt there was 'little' difference in MPG consumption between SPORT and COMFORT on my M2, but ignored the thought thinking I was going crazy.

Then another M2 owner cited the same thing. He reported better MPG in SPORT over COMFORT on journeys.

This triggered me to carry out the following experiment.

COMFORT vs SPORT

^ The above is reminder of which settings change when the drive mode is altered.

Quite a bit more going on compared to the E46 M3 sport button.

I think we can all agree the difference felt between the COMFORT and SPORT is significant.

Test Method

Week 1
  1. Fill up the tank on Monday and reset MPG on OBC.
  2. Drive exclusively in COMFORT mode for Mon-Fri.
  3. Each day complete daily "city" commute and back: (6 miles total)
  4. Each day complete highway route and back: (40 miles total)

Week 2
  1. Fill up the tank on Monday and reset MPG on OBC.
  2. Drive exclusively in SPORT mode for Mon-Fri
  3. Each day complete daily "city" commute and back: (6 miles total)
  4. Each day complete highway route and back: (40 miles total)

Notes:
    On the weekend use up remaining fuel with 'spirited driving' - using whole rev range as 'cleanup exercise'.

Test Parameters
  • Vehicle: BMW M2 MY16 - Stock (N55B30T0) - RI + 3000mi
  • Vehicle Region: Europe.
  • Transmission: DCT (AUTO only to rule myself out).
  • Highway Speed Target: 70-80mph
  • Air Conditioning: Always on, windows shut.
  • Fuel: Shell V Power (I always use this)
  • Cargo: Just me (driver)
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring: Checked each day, all ok.

Results

The results are promising. Don't focus on the raw values as the computer is never 100% accurate - look at the MPG difference between both modes.

It appears after my testing on highways, the difference between MPG consumption in COMFORT and SPORT is negligible.

Infact, I might go as far to say that SPORT might be more efficient on highway runs than first realised, here's why;

Quote:
* When I reset the MPG counter in COMFORT mode, the default MPG value started at 33MPG and descended down to 31.3MPG after the first day of testing.

However, when resetting the MPG counter in SPORT mode, it started at 26MPG and climbed upwards to 29.3MPG on the first day! - For some reason if in SPORT mode, resetting the MPG counter will default to around 26MPG instead of 33MPG as it's starting value.

This skews the 'average MPG' calculation a little in favour of COMFORT, but in reality SPORT is at minimum, level with COMFORT MPG on highway runs.
Note that while highway speeds of 70-80mph were maintained, aggressive use of the throttle was used now and again to overtake slow cars and trucks.

On the highway using SPORT mode, the M2 felt much more engaging and potent = FUN.

Conclusion

It appears that if you have a long highway journey ahead of you, SPORT mode can be enjoyed with no penalty to MPG over COMFORT

In urban driving, DCT Auto is likely to use more fuel as the car holds the revs longer/higher before shifting.

On the whole I had fun with this experiment. When cruising I was kept busy with folk in other cars pointing/thumbs-up at the M2 and other times giving a good burst of the throttle (overtaking lorries) especially in SPORT.

I'd be interested in others to try out the same experiment and report back.

Thanks for reading

atxsk8r1568.50
JKen_0115175.50
gmzanatta1823.00
luvmybmmr305.00
STK215.50
AlexCirci496.50
zhp2m3147.50
ried791.50
geogerf115.50
RedCarrot230.50
rocke29105.50