View Single Post
      03-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Sure thing!

Well, first off this isn't a coding option - it's hardware.

This coding option remains illusive and has been searched for by a lot of BMW F series owners over the years.

Given the "importance" of such a flag (coding switch) you'd expect it to be discovered by now...if it exists.

Don't get me wrong, it would be possible to enter sport mode by default if the engineers at BMW exposed such a flag to do so.

The 'Enable Eco-Pro as default' flag

While it's true this 'eco' flag exists, it does so for a good reason. BMW 'Efficient Dynamics' models use this flag to maximise their environmental ratings.

It likely makes sense at the factory to have such a flag available when configuring the car as an ED model.

Furthermore, you would expect a similar 'sport default' option to be found near this flag location, but it hasn't.

The reasoning for the lack of such a flag is unclear and when combined with the lack of M memory buttons (on the M2) makes it frustrating.

So I decided to do something about it...

Hardware Solution

I work as a software engineer by trade.

I have built an external module with a microprocessor that interfaces with the Integrated Chassis Management (ICM).

The ICM is responsible for configuring various systems in the car to match the intended profile (eg, comfort, sport etc).

It's packed full of sensors, a crucial part in any modern BMW.

The ICM uses a range of technologies for communication, including FlexRay.

Using my own custom firmware, when you start the car the external module instructs the ICM to set the desired mode (eg. SPORT).

Note that the ICM maintains full control and authority at all times over it's subsystems.

The module will not override it, it only makes requests.

Possible Configurations

Default Drive to SPORT: TESTED - OK
Default Drive to SPORT+: TESTED - OK

Default DSC to MDM: NOT TESTED Edit: 03-04-17: TESTED - OK
Default DSC to OFF: NOT TESTED Edit: 03-04-17: TESTED - OK

I intend to make the module configurable so that you can set custom drive and DSC modes. I will be testing the DSC defaults shortly.

Installation

No one likes tapping/splicing into their OEM wires. I've spent many hours trying to come up with a streamlined clean install.

The setup includes a custom made harness that sits in-line between the drive mode switch panel and the OEM cable. This is the most convenient route to the ICM.

Any taps will be taken from the custom harness. This also means un-installation is a breeze since you just remove the custom harness.

The module, once placed in an enclosure will likely sit inside the armrest and use the 5V USB for power.

I see no reason why the install could not be done in under 20 minutes.

Developments

I need to test the DSC modes and then downsize my prototype to fit into a smaller enclosure. Later if there is enough community interest we could look at a mini-group buy to build some units.

I shall continue to update you all with pictures and videos as development progresses.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by MerlinPurple; 04-03-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 6
///Mē282.50
banff151.50
mjsaville101.00
metrickid3030.00
bollinm25.00
Moris3.00