02-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
Great review! Can you compare your 2015 STI to the M2/M3 as well?

I'm interested in picking up the new 2018 STI.
This was another topic I was thinking about doing a write up on.

TL;DR if you're looking for performance, dont. For a year round DD that will not get stuck in any blizzard, its great. But I'll elaborate.

Being my first "performance" vehicle I was walking in blind and decided to get the highest trim one with the fancy wheels and nav. Wheels are nice, but have serious fitment issues, and the nav was junk. Cost me just under $50000 CAD.

For the price, and vs the market its seriously under powered. in 2005 it was keeping up with M3s FFS. I went to stage 2 (360ish crank hp) pretty quick and that helped a lot. Thing backfired catless gloriously. But the motor internals are pretty much maxed close to 400. Which leads to where the car is now; sitting in my garage without a heart for the past year. But on the bright side downshifting to second and going flat out is seriously fun, and cornering is confidence inspiring. The steering feel itself is just OK.

The car is by no means bad quality, but the BMW is better. The 2018 changes look promising, but I would wait for the FA20 platform. Like I said, if you're looking for serious performance, be prepared to fork out a lot of doe. And the included limit is pretty low.

I had the privelage of driving a Mustang GT through the tail of the dragon last week, and that car is better, and cheaper. The coyote engine is no fucking joke. It made me reconsider my M2. Seriously. But Mustangs have bad reputations? So do WRXs.

So really it comes down to what you're looking for. I made a mistake, but I was also looking at the wrong things. I wanted an STi since childhood, and the cars have always been beautiful to me. Which brought me in; I loved the spoiler and youthful energy of it. Seriously the thought of doing highway pulls at night (that seen in Tokyo drift with Hans RX7 and the speed trap) got my heart racing and still does. Call it childish but I'd rather have dreams then nothing. Did I ever think I'd by a BMW then tho? No way. But co piloting my best friends E46 M3 made it apparent I made the wrong choice.

If both are within your means, or the M2 is but a bit of financial stretch away... listen closely to me: BUY THE GERMAN ONE
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
S1monQc223.50