07-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #333
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m c View Post
Hello.

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Many thanks to those of you who pioneered this project. I picked up an '18 M2 with MPE about a month ago and while I adore it most of the time, it's simply too raucous for extended highway trips. The incessant drone and road noise after a three hour trip made it feel like a 12-hour journey.

I've compiled my list with the guidance of all of those who have already jumped on this project. I have my shopping cart full of the necessary parts but before I pull the trigger, I have two questions:

1. I don't have any real complaints about noise coming from the engine compartment. At least I don't think I do. How much of a difference does the hood insulation make for road noise? Does it purely mute engine NVH or is there another benefit to it?
I can't answer about the hood insulation because it's the only part I've not yet fitted. I'm actually interested to hear other responses about this.

What I can say however is that the insulation that goes in the door gap does block quite a bit of engine noise. This is because at the top of that gap it goes in to the engine bay bulkhead area. Fitting those foam seals isn't for wind noise or wheel noise, it's really for high frequency engine noise reduction.

Quote:
2. Apologies if I missed it in the thread, but does anyone who has tackled adding insulation to the rear of the car have the MPE (minus resonator)? If so, has the drone been reduced at all? I love it on short drives. It's waaay too much on long drives. If the insulation didn't do much, have you found an acceptable solution short of adding the resonator back in?
Sadly, I also cannot answer this question directly because I don't have an MPE. What I can say is that I was surprised at the difference the sound isolation over the rear wheel arches inside the car makes. It's four pieces - two in the trunk area and two beside the rear seats. I did these simply to complete the interior deadening, but I noticed a massive difference if I have the rear seat folded down for any reason; way less drone at highway speeds.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
Saanen180.50