View Single Post
      12-17-2023, 05:53 PM   #1
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

OGSM/Inertia Lab Custom Nitron R1 Review

I wanted to share a quick review of the OG Shark Motorsport custom Nitron NTR R1 since you don't see nearly as much discussion on something like this as you do Ohlins, KW, MCS, and TC Kline (at least in the US). The full details of the package is covered in this thread but it includes everything you need including Nitron camber plates. The camber plates are such a sweet piece they deserve a deep dive by one of the deep dive nerds but even as an idiot you can tell it's a quality motorsports grade kit.

image for ref so you know what the hell I'm talking about

I started tracking my M2 in 2021 at Barber Motorsports Park and have run about 6-8 events a year since. I learned the car stock on 300tw Pilot Super Sports before messing with tires or suspension. Eventually I added the TC Kline kit. I decided on the TCK setup for a few reasons.

- It was recommended by an instructor with Porsche Experience who had an M2 along with my mechanic.
- I found a set used for $1400 that just fell in my lap
- I could adjust camber and save tires
- It would address the cars stock damping, which is needlessly harsh. The stock suspension was actually well balanced on track, but the street ride could be improved so this would provide both track and street benefits

After adding the the SA/DA setup with street rates and moving to a 200tw tire, my times at Barber started dropping significantly. I went from running 1:47s to 1:44s and after some good feedback from a coach down to 1:42s. I was noticing a problem exiting T3 though as the pace picked up and the lap times fell. The car was bottoming out the left side damper. It was running out of stroke. Not a great feeling when pushing on track. It didn't disrupt the car but it didn't exactly inspire confidence either. Not to mention wanting to be easy on the car... it was slowing me down. At best it was preventing me personally from going any faster.

Despite this limitation I added SPL rear toe arms and got a better alignment and moved to 275/295 Bridgestone RE71RS, gained confidence and seat time and the car went 1:41. With everything I had done at that point to the car, it felt great beyond the bottoming out issue so I kept driving it thinking I'd just deal but this was not a great plan. I pushed it chasing a friend and went 1:39. At this pace, the left side of the car was just flat out giving up. Not only was it bottoming out at T3 exit it was now doing the same thing through T12. The suspension had become the limiting factor. A photographer snapped this shot showing the TCK units out of travel at the faster pace.

TC Kline SA/DA 300/600 rates giving up
Name:  Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 5.16.28 PM.png
Views: 698
Size:  3.14 MB

I knew that if I wanted to go any faster I was going to need stiffer spring rates and a more serious damper, and that meant I had to make a switch. I had been eyeing MCS 2ways after a good friend added some to his E92 M3 track car, but after a random opportunity to ride shotgun at Barber in Anonymoose's wild M2C that runs the OGSM Nitron R1 I was sold. After just a few hot laps with OG Shark at the wheel, I knew I had found what I was after. The R1 delivered better body control and most importantly didn't bottom out and give up the ghost when pushed. (I had to tell OG Shark to stop farting around and start pushing but he eventually lit it up to a pace that would have exposed the TCK).

I ordered a set a week later instead of MCS 2Way because:

- The R1 has custom damping designed for street comfort by Inertia Labs developed by Jason of OG Shark Motorsport and this is not the focus with the Bimmerworld MCS I would have ended up with instead. All while supporting incredible pace as shown with Project 223
- Jason specs the front spring setup with max width rubber in mind so you never have to worry about clearance issues
- Considering what's inside the R1 and how it compares to TTX/MCS/JRZ etc it's an incredible value. Especially considering the extra work that goes into these at Inertia Laboratory.

I knew that I was getting a better tool for the track but the verdict was out on the street. I only experienced them on track and had to trust Jason when he said he spec'd them for dual duty. It took me a while, but I finally got the TCK out and the Nitron R1s installed a couple weeks back. When I picked it up, I could immediately tell the car was much firmer. But, weirdly, no less comfortable. The TCK were like riding on clouds compared to stock. The Nitron's had the same crazy ability as my buddies MCS to somehow deliver comfort and stiffness. My first impression day one was that it felt like I had a cage installed. The whole car just felt stiffer and more responsive. It was amazing.

Having lived with them for a couple weeks now I can confidently say the car has sacrificed 0 comfort on the street though. This is mind you, while delivering insanely sharp steering response and way more lateral roll stiffness. It has so much more mechanical grip. Body roll is gone, and the car feels sharp as a razor. That was the first feedback a friend gave hopping out of it after a back road run today. "The response!" This after driving it back to back with his M3 on MCS 2ways and RE71s no less. Having pushed the car now, I can honestly say it's transformed.

I'll have a chance to get it back out at Barber in the new year after a full geometry reset at which point I'll share more feedback. I fully expect to see higher corner speeds and have a more controlled car despite the increase in pace. I'll update this post then but for anyone that's looking around at options for a motorsports grade unit that's ideal for the street I'd say look no further. I couldn't be happier that I didn't just get something off the shelf, as you can really appreciate the development that has gone into these.

For those interested you can read more about Inertia Laboratory and their work on super high end race shit like Tractive, JRZ, Ohlins, Quantum, JRi, Nitron and Penske shocks at http://www.inertialaboratory.com and check out this quick intro video

You can see more on OG Shark Motorsport by checking out their instagram at https://www.instagram.com/teamogshark/

My 2017 M2 and and it's specs as it sits:

Power
Active Autowerke Downpipe
Turner Motorsports Charge Pipe
CSF Intercooler
BM3 S2 tune

Suspension
OGSM x Inertia Labs Nitron R1
SPL rear toe arms
SPL front end links
BimmerWorld front thrust arm monoballs

Brakes
PFC 08 Pads
Bimmerworld SS Brake Lines
Castrol SRF Fluid

Wheels/Tires
Apex VS-5RS 18x10 18x11
Bridgestone RE71RS 275/295 /35/18
Rays G025 PS4S (Street)

unboxing pic courtesy of cloumeM because
mine would have sucked
Attached Images

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 12-17-2023 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 5