02-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #41
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
What does this mean though? What makes the S55 more special than the B58 besides the fact that it was made by the M division? I'm genuinely asking, because the way I see it, the B58 is from the next generation and it's not surprising that it's an improvement over the N55/S55 generation.
The B58 is newer and is a more technologically advanced engine. It's also designed to go into a ton of cars and has been tuned for driveability, fuel economy and reliability. Obviously those are all things everyone would love to have. But if BMW is choosing between a few more MPGs and a bit more power, they're going to lean towards MPGs. Likewise, they're tuning the engine for mid-range torque (which is what the vast majority of drivers want) rather than top end power (which is what enthusiasts tend to enjoy)

The S55 of course has these same compromises, but the math is slightly different for that engine since it will just be going to enthusiasts, not everyday joes. Which is ultimately why my car has a 7600 RPM redline and gets atrocious gas mileage.
Appreciate 0