United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Moreover, for all manufacturers other than Tesla, without a supercharging network, EVs aren't really mobile...
I disagree with this completely! I don't know why Telsa themself seems to think the Superchargers are a big deal...

I've owned an electric car since 2012 (Chevy Volt). We run it almost exclusively on the battery. In the 4 years we have owned the car, I have put 4 tanks of gas in the car and that is only because it requires you to burn off a tank once a year. We use it for daily driving which for us is typically less than 40 miles a day.

We have several cars (most of them BMW's). We have other choices for longer trips but the the Volt is our daily driver. We simply run it around town during the day and then plug it in overnight (just like a cell phone). I've NEVER used a charger other than the one in our garage. I think that's just not convenient. If I was at a mall or going to a movie or something time consuming I would plug it in while I was doing other things. However, I'm simply not going to be driving it point-to-point stopping at chargers along the way for 20 mins at a time (even with much longer range). In my opinion, home charging is the model which works. One car for long trips and another for around town. You just have to find an electric car with the required range for your daily driving. I've never cared about where the charging stations are. We love the electric vehicle and I can't see my future without one.

BMW missed the point when it made the i3 because it doesn't have the range it should for most people (and no gas backup for infinite extension like the volt). BMW should have the tech to make cars with daily range to match Tesla - so I don't know why they didn't. The i3 is a nice car but it simply wasn't an upgrade from the Chevy. GM did a nice job on the Volt. The car is comfortable, drives like a real car, and has an ICE for backup. The i3 has good tech but only marginal range and not much else. It isn't even as comfortable as the Volt. So, if your looking for a daily grocery getter, there are better, cheaper, more flexible options available than the i3 (IMHO). BMW missed the mark...

The i8 is a different animal altogether. But again, not a replacement as a daily driver. I simply can't see the wife getting groceries in an i8. Its also not a compelling sale against a more functional, faster, longer range, Tesla Model S P90D.

So, BMW never achieved market position simply because they are not offering an electric car model which is well positioned for any popular market segment. Sure the i8 is a fun toy but that's not really gonna gain them any market share. ...and the i3 was just a late arrival "me too" in a market of low range electric vehicles. The i3 should have been what the new Tesla model 3 is going to be.

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of our new Tesla Model X P90DL in a couple of weeks. Its a much more functional electric car than anything BMW offers (and I truly am a BMW fan). It has AWD for the winter, 250 mi range, great tech, and lots of room for groceries and people. It is also "ludicrously" fast! It will effectively be replacing our BMW X6M (AWD winter car) and Chevy Volt (electric car) at the same time. And, personally, I don't care where any of the Superchargers are... I never have... For longer trips (more than 250 miles), We have other options (inc an M6 and M4).

Similarly I think most families have more than 1 car and the "second car/daily driver/around town" is where the market is I expect...
Your missing the point, 95 percent of people dont have multiple cars and can choose can choose their non electric when they want to drive far. So yes, supercharging is necessary for an automaker that wants more than 5 percent mkt share
Appreciate 0