jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
"It does not display your text messages, it reads them to you and will allow you to dictate a reply." My current iDrive configuration does this now, so why do I need to blow $300?
That's fine but the OP made it seem like Car Play only displays the message and you have to stare at the screen and read it, which is not the case. I need to mess with the messages app in iDrive again. I could never get it to work reliably in the X6 and gave up on it and have never even attempted to use it in my other BMWs. With Car Play it just worked for me.

I hate the iDrive interface for accessing media on my phone. If I want to switch from a podcast (which I listen to a lot of podcasts) to my, say, Apple Music I have to pick up my phone and make that switch. Whereas in Car Play all those apps are there to switch to and have their own interfaces.

Look I'm not saying Car Play is the best thing since sliced bread. It's far from it. I'm just saying if the source of most of your media is on your phone I could see how some would rather use Car Play over the menu driven, and often clunky, iDrive.

If you think $300 for Car Play is a waste, I paid $350 for the "BMW Apps" package on the MY14 X6. That was a waste.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50