Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I've never done ED on a BMW, and most of my current (too large) stable of BMWs were bought used, with the exception of my newish 2018 M2.

Buying a new BMW can certainly be a good excuse for making a trip to Europe, with the added benefits of minor monetary savings and the ability to drive it over there and then get it shipped back to the USA.

But why not just go on a trip to Europe if you want to go there, without making that trip contingent on buying a new car? I spend 6 weeks a year in France, divided into two trips, fall and spring. I never need an excuse to go there, and I do end up driving rather uninteresting cars while there (but I do allow the food and wine to make up for it).

Germany is a nice country, but there is a lot more to see in Europe, and not being on an automobile-inspired trip, you can have the freedom to go wherever you want.
I have been over to Europe a few times and each time has been different. Some for work, some times with other family.

I actually found the M2 ED liberating and not constrained in the slightest. Sure, I had a pickup and drop off schedule, but I would have those types of constraints on any trip. Everything after that was open to my discretion and whim.

I waited a long time for my M2 (~18 months) so the anticipation probably has something to do with things. The fact that what we did was not tailored to meet work demands or the least common denominator in a groups desires also played a role.

Regardless, the whole experience offered a freedom to go wherever we wanted to go, to do whatever we wanted to do, whenever we wanted to do it and enabled a very fluid and flexible schedule.

Still, I have to say the I would love to have the time & funds to do what you do and spend 6 weeks a year in Europe. There are, as you say, lots of things to see and do in many different countries.

My ED only allowed a glimpse, but it was a truly great time.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50