View Single Post
      10-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #22
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
The only thing adaptive about lights is the HBA (high beam assistant = on/off). Sometimes you do get slight directing at low speeds (eg turning into driveway), but require separate coding to fully enable VLD.
Isn't BMW falsely advertising the feature then? Auto High Beam doesn't count as adaptive, and it's listed as an additional feature in the 'Executive Package' on the BMW USA website. The details do state:
This technology is combined with the Adaptive feature: at speeds up to 35 mph, the headlights swivel to follow bends in the road, based on your steering wheel motion and other metrics.
If that's true, I suppose it would count, but it's not particularly impressive. I'm pretty sure my Jaguar does that at highway speeds as well and isn't limited to 35 mph!

Is it possible that with VLD de-coded we're only getting the 'Cornering Light' in your diagram below? EU cars seem to be able to do this up to 70 km/h, which is ~ 43.4 mph?

Quote:
Yes. As opposed to a physical shutter, the light array selectively dims and shape light pattern. Without, there is not a perfect tunnel formed and light leakage causes blinding glare for other drivers.
The image you linked here clearly shows the shutter; what do we have to do to get the car to do this (if it's possible). Is that just the pattern for high beam at slow speed (stopped) up against a wall?

Since we're in a position where we're not sure of the abilities of the LCI F87, it really needs someone to perform this test after coding NGHB doesn't it. If we don't see the cut out from the shutter (or the similar LED behaviour), then we know it's not safe to code without doing an EU light retrofit - Correct?

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0