View Single Post
      08-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #14
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge
"It’s the true successor to the E46 M3 of 10 years ago—immensely chuckable, outright rowdy, wonderfully temperamental, and within reach of more budgets."

No - it's definitely not. Not because of the reason that I say the M346 is such a good car (it is quite enjoyable, but it has it's flaws), but because I think that you can't even compare them in other things than size. The engine, gearbox and suspension of the M346 is so different to the M2s, if you go drive these cars back to back (what I did recently, that's why I judge it), I really think that the M2 is a little bit to much of a "every-darlings-car". The MT gearbox could be operated by my mum without a problem (without offending any gender here), same goes to the steering. I think it is quite "hard" to drive the M346 with an MT in an ambitious way. Not everyone can do that - you need a bit of experience and know how to engange the clutch and gas pedal properly. Same goes for the steering as it is completely hydraulic and sometimes difficult to operate. The M2 is so much easier to drive - the engine is pretty decent, but still lacks a lot of the excitement of a NA I6 from the past that revs until 8. The sound of the M2 is very nice, but you can always feel that it is some kind of "digital" and you always know what is coming. The M346 is much more multi-faceted when it comes to sound and behavior.
The M2 is a very nice car, even better when we are talking about cars from todays day and age. I am definitely happy with the result of the M2 in general, and I would not order a car without navigation, connected drive and all that stuff. So I am happy that the M2 exists. Other than that it seperates itself nicely from the competitors and still offers a MT, I6 and RWD driving experience, which is kind of rare today.

But please, dear journalists, stop comparing it to the M330, M346 or whatever. All of these cars are great in their own way, but they are all completely different when driven the way they suppose to be.
This is so right.....I drove the M2 recently and while it's good it's too "digital" and not analog enough for me. I've owned an 04 e46M and definitely thought that was one of the best most interactive cars I've ever owned. Definitely the essence of M. Unfortunately Bmw is in business to make money and not satisfy the enthusiasts that used to buy BMWs because of how they drove. Different game today so as an enthusiast I took my money elsewhere until I can locate an older M car again.
Appreciate 0