12-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #1215
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
I just got off the phone with them and they said they’re still trying to confirm if 2019 and 2020 models will include free CarPlay or not. I got a free month until they figure their side out.
At least in Australia, this is how they are pricing. I received a confirmation from BMW.

If you have the latest (iDrive 7) BMW infotainment system, CarPlay is free when you buy the car AND for existing customers.

If you own older infotainment system, but you have paid for CarPlay at some point in the past, BMW will unlock your CarPlay for life. I'm not sure about the distinction between currently subscribed vs subscription expired owners.

However, and this is the boat I am in, if you are ordering a new car (M2C to be built in Feb 2020, delivery April 2020) with an older infotainment unit (iDrive 6) you have to pay once. After that, they confirmed that it is free.

Just a couple of weeks ago, 'paying once' had options. For example, for 1 year (AUD$179), 3 years (AUD$379) or unlimited (AUD$639). Now, there is only unlock-for-life option for AUD$450 (which must be the same USD$300 fee we are talking about here).

Most of the news outlets are reporting that CarPlay is free on all new and past BMW that are capable of CarPlay. This could become a PR issue for BMW. Get free CarPlay on 1-series but have to pay on M-car with double the price tag.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-13-2019 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0