ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Checking in with kneebag updates, just got off calls with my dealer and the performance center.

General Information: There is an issue with the knee air bag (didn't say if it was bag or sensor) that affects all 2, 3, 4, and their M series produced during and after March 2019. It affects an estimated 250,000 cars total, 100,000 of which are currently in production or not delivered (factory, in transit, VPC, PCD, ED, dealer lot). As such, a stop sale has been issued for all of these cars, and a recall will be issued for cars that have already been sold. Production is stopped until a solution can be implemented. There is currently not a fix available as the problem has not been completely identified. More information will be available Thursday.

My situation is somewhat unique in that I've already paid for and registered my car and have tags and plates. BMW still told me that I cannot pickup my car and will be contacted by customer relations. There are a small group of people with this issue that are supposedly priority, as far as I know this means the following:
Car has been paid for, is registered, has plates, and is set for Performance Center delivery, with pick up in three weeks or less.

this is all of the information I have for now unfortunately.

TLDR; its all bad and nobody is getting their car right now/cars aren't moving forward for at least 3 days+time to fix, possibly longer.
DOT rules. I ran into this with an X1 a few years ago. The DOT basically says the car is unsafe to drive if it has a faulty airbag. BMW of course doesn't want the liability either.