12-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #74
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Break-in, but not by the book!

Break-in, but not by the book!

So first of all I'm behind on updating so I apologize!

This was back in October, but the day after the race I passed the break-in period so I had the service done.

So starting about a week before I knew I was going to hit 1,200 miles I tried making an appointment at my local BMW service center, only to find out that the next available service time slot was 28 days later - they were so inundated with diesel recalls that they literally couldn't get it in any earlier. Well I don't want to have a bunch of break-in oil sitting in my car so I started to think of other options. Then I come to find out that my other friend with a US spec M2 said "the break in service isn't important anyway, they don't change the oil or anything." And I was like, uh.... Yeah, they do! So I sent him the info and he came back with "they never did mine...." So he immediately had his changed at the BMW Performance Shop I've mentioned in this thread before. I hadn't quite hit 1,200 miles, I was at around 700, so I decided to wait a few days until I actually made it. I passed the mark conveniently on Columbus Day so I drove up first thing in the morning and got stuck in Seoul traffic.

I showed up only a little bit late and he instantly backed my car in and got to work. He was in the process of changing out his brake pads and switching to his track wheels, as he had a track day the following day. Unfortunately I couldn't make it because I had to work....

It's always fun to look under the car when it's up in the air!

I replaced the oil with Motul 0W-40 and replaced the diff fluid as well.

Anyway that's enough pictures of a simple oil change. So the next part was resetting the oil indicator thingy right?

Wrong.

Well, yes, that's what you're supposed to do, and we tried!!

But for whatever reason he couldn't get it out of break-in service mode. So he called his BMW buddy and tried to work it out for me to drive to a local dealership to have it done. Uuuuunfortunately.... The guy was on vacation. So he said he would get back to me on that. Next was he really wanted to code the car for me (this was before I bought the app) so I said okay why not? I don't mind. But I guess he couldn't get the update that included the M2C so that ended up not happening. But in the meantime...

In the meantime I was amazed at how many people, in the middle of the day, came by to either just say hi, chat, or have something done to their cars.

At times it was like a constant stream - I was there 3 or 4 hours (I mean, I had nothing better to do that day) and 4 M4's, 6 M2's, an Infiniti (random), a 991, the list goes on but anyway the point is there was always at a minimum 3 or 4 people there at a time, I kept thinking "don't these people work?" but then I remembered "well I'm not at work either..."

One M4 in particular showed up, it was quiiite nice to look at.

And then eventually I left so I could go sit in shit traffic going home! And feed my dog.

To close the loop, I did eventually get to the dealership to get the computer reset. Unfortunately however I had to drive over an hour and a half both ways to get there only to have it take less than 10 minutes. Greeeat.