View Single Post
      10-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #38
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The dealer is going to help you with your warranty concerns, after you admitted to tamper with the vehicle's software..

Yea, that sounds about right and how a franchise dealer rolls; they just live and breath to correct to customer's mistakes, all gratis, courtesy of BMW..

Look, I didn't exactly mean to imply that you where being untruthful, maybe more misguided and regret going down this rabbit hole but just for reference, my point, without coming off snooty, merely was that an official dealer doesn't doesn't do what's called FDL coding, as which is done with the Bimmercode APP, simple because they can't possible make lines of coding changes, such as for example; auto/comfort mirror folding or the rear fog light activation mods.

When an official dealer replaces a part which requires new encoding, their system already has a corresponding software available, with a number or per-populated menu, which is then injected into the related modules, via programming. That guides how the intended part is meant to operate and keeps within all regulations and restrictions, for that specific region, if any. *see below*

A franchise dealer doesn't pull out their iPhone X with that cracked screen, order a OBD2 dongle from Amazon, download the APP, pay $30 Bimmercode, then make individuals lines of coding changes to their customer's cars, to their heart desires.

Their systems are way more comprehensive and regulated, in how and what encoding chances can be made to a customer's vehicle and how it's injected.

What us end-users accomplishes with Bimmercode, is sort of piggybacking into that aforementioned vehicle current software to generate a said result, a franchise dealer system doesn't work like that, they writes and injects their own commands and encoding parameters, via programming..

A dealer, can't and won't make changes as Bimmercode because their system doesn't allow FDL coding, they can only make encoding changes that's tied to a retrofit, repair, recall, etc and making any such chances as what done with Bimmercode would violate so many regulations that already is put in place, which it's only bridled by software encoding blocks.

Now, if you are telling me a dealer tech, off the books, is doing you a solid and using his Bimmercode APP or pirated version of eSyS to do some coding to your vehicle, then yes, that sounds very much plausible but I sincerely doubt any official dealer, worth his salt, is going to make any Bimmercode-like changing and officially invoice it.

I get what you're saying Pooch, but the scenario you mentioned is exactly what they do. It's off the books. So, with respect to what you wrote, you are correct. They had/have a tech that would perform this service off the books. Now I see where you were coming from with your posts.

I guess the point I was making was that my dealer has no problem with these changes being made by either the owner of the vehicle or the tech providing the service. They give it their blessing so to speak. And they are a big dealer here in my area.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00