View Single Post
      10-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #29
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I highly doubt you're going to see a curb weight remotely close to the 1M. The standard M235i weighs a whopping 3500lbs here in the states. There is no way they're going to be able to knock off 200lbs with CFRP roof and light weight suspension.
Look at my sig. I've cut 180lbs off my 330 using CF roof, hood and trunk, lighter wheels, exhaust, suspension pieces, brakes and seats. BMW has to stick with OEM quality parts and materials, so I believe the maximum weight reduction will be around 100lbs max. The majority of that weight reduction will not come from the roof either. I changed out my steel roof including the sunroof for a CF piece and it only saved 45lbs. My 330 roof is a bit larger than a 2-series roof, so the weight savings will be less.
I also highly doubt BMW will put on extremely light weight wheels. This is a huge performance part and a major weight savings. I cut 44lbs. just by going to my Advan RS wheels (they are 18", but 0.5" wider in the front ad 1" wider in the rear, but still much lighter than stock).

I'm very interested in this car. I feel the M3/4 has gotten too soft to appease the masses and the M2 will bring back the driving passion. I just hope that they go as hard core as the enthusiasts would like them too. BMW is already pulling the Porsche card by reducing the HP to "protect" it's big brother.

CF roof, hood, trunk, front quarters & CF drive shaft.

They can also use more exotic & lighter steel in critical areas, than in the 235i. Not-to-mention special seats, wheels, exhaust and suspension components, etc.

If you can cut out 180lbs, you don't think BMW can do more..? LOL
Appreciate 0