View Single Post
      11-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #85
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctga View Post
Wrong. They don’t break engines in at the factory, they don’t even hot test them. Some samples will be tested for quality control purposes but they are certainly not run in.

There is a reason manufacturers still recommend a 1200 mile break in period. I think BMW’s engineers know more about their engine, it’s materials and manufacturing tolerances than the vast majority of people on the internet!

At the end of the day though it’s your engine so make your own choice.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure "BMW engineers" wrote that requirement. I suspect that a lot of parties were involved - most notably legal and accounting. Cause if you want to put your trust in these "engineers" and they were the ones who "wrote the manual", then they are also the ones saying you can go two years/15K between oil changes*, the trans fluid never needs to be changed, etc.

The fact is, the tolerances are much improved with today's engines and most do not require the "gentle" 1,200 miles that BMW recommends (and then I think they say take it easy for the next 2,000 or so miles or Kms AFTER THAT). A little crazy....

Of note, the brakes however do need to be broken in

But the fact is, too many people go crazy with their brand new cars and end up messing them up big time - I personally think that's the biggest reason for the break-in requirements - alas, it is one of those things that can be a fun and never ending discussion here and on the interwebs.

*early versions of included maintenance only called for oil changes every two years/15K - in fact, as soon as BMW started paying for maintenance, suddenly their requirements changed Of note, my 1995 325i had a 1,200 mile service (as did all BMWs I think) before BMW decided that only M cars would get this. Engineers changing their mind? Or Accountants getting involved
Appreciate 0