03-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Hey guys-

Super annoyed right now what is the best 3M tape that I should use looks like I might have to reinstall the spoiler I do not want to use any type of case of interest permanently bonding the carbon fiber to the truck
This has come up a few times before on here and I came across the threads when doing my spoiler. There seem to be a few options.

1. Did you align it correctly? If not aligned perfectly then it may not contour to the shape of the trunk well

2. Did you buy new and use the tape it came with? Some people add the 3M tape to the edges to make sure it sticks (3M VHB 5952 is what I used, they have different thicknesses) - I also used a heat gun to get it hot and clamps at the edges for 24 hours to get it to hold.

3. Some people use a bonding agent or adhesive promoter, this seems like overkill to me and good luck getting it off if you ever want to in the future.

4. In some cases, the spoiler is simply a bad batch and not curved properly to match up to the trunk. Some people have had luck ordering a new one - this has not been unique to BMW other aftermarket "high end" spoilers have had variation between batches.

Good luck, I hated this install - get the 3M eraser wheel if you need to get off adhesive.

Appreciate 2
ChrisK4449.00
FrozenGT1116.50